Inconsistent focusing with 80D and Canon EF-S 55~250mm IS, STM Lens.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Yesterday I had an opportunity to visit a garden center that had been closed for approximately 6 weeks.

When I had what looked like out of focus flower centers, the all clear in focus yellow light at the bottom right
    hand corner indicated that the subject was in focus. However, when I downloaded the images onto my computer, the flower centers were so soft, it was not possible to correct them in Post Photo Editing. Many of
    the flower centers did turn out quite sharp, but unfortunately not all of them. I wonder if there are times when I received a false positive from the Auto-Focus System. Last night, attempting to figure out what the problem is, I tried the back button Auto-Focus On Feature and it seemed to be very accurate and very consistent. All the time I was out there shooting, I had a fully charged Canon OEM Battery.

Thanks for any helpful hints and suggestions. :)

Tony

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I would probably not blame the focus right away. What shutter speed was being used, was there a breeze that could have affected the scene given the level of zoom and shutter speed used. My first question would be how possible is it that something changed between focus and shutter being tripped? I asked my questions because i know you shoot closeups of flowers with a longer lens. Maybe a slightly faster shutter will fix it, I like to use the center focus point when at all possible, it is more accurate than the outside ones, and i keep focusing right up till I ake the shot.

Tonytee likes this.
  3. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.

Many thanks Johnsey for your reply. I see what you are saying. Subject movement may also be the cause of out of focus images when I press the shutter release button and the yellow in focus light appears in the lower right hand corner and I can see that the center is out of focus. The other issue is that I have it programmed to not fire if the subject is not in focus. Thanks very much I will try your suggestions.
    Tony

4. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Another question I have is: Can shooting flowers or any subject for that matter be affected by the use of a long telephoto lens? I guess what I am asking is if it is possible the image could suffer from compression caused by the long lens? Thanks very much for your helpful hints and suggestions. I am saying that after posting images here, they sometimes appear to be over saturated, when they were not on my computer monitor. Thanks again,

Tony

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Compression: Well with the telephoto you are likely to shoot subjects at a distance where the background appears to be pulled closer to the subject. But this is just as much a product of subject to camera distance as it is lens length. This has no direct impact on the saturation.

Saturation: This is likely a browser issue, generally the browser and jogs posted online are ICC profile agnostic. That is likely leading to some differences from what you see in Lightroom or Photoshop where you are working with a embedded color profile. And to add to this your monitor and print have their own color profile, which is why it is important to calibrate it the monitor and use proper profile for paper when printing.

Tonytee likes this.
  6. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Well sir, I thank you very much for your informative, helpful response. I will do as you suggest. :) Tony