June Monthly Challenge - "Water or Glass"

Discussion in 'Official Photo Contests and Events' started by johnsey, Jun 1, 2023.

1. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This months photo topic is "Water or Glass" This one is a technical challenge.... Both can be reflective or see through and can be a challenge for lighting or use of or removal of reflections. Work with one of these and make them deliberate choices in the composition.

Happy shooting!

Again, the rules are simple:
    • Should be be using some canon gear , this is a canon forum after all.
    • Shot with the assignment in mind, go out and shoot something new don't dig up something from the archives.
    • and most importantly have fun.

2. Thumbnail

Thumbnail Active Member Site Supporter

Looks as though I'm first out of the blocks this month and also out of my comfort zone with a rough & ready classic wine glass shot to get us started.
    Glass.jpg
    Canon 5D Mk II, Canon EF 24-105mm lens, 2 x Canon Flash.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Very nice, definitely a a classic academic example. A very small critique, how stopped down did you go? I may have tried to get another stop or two to see if i could get the rim of the glass tack sharp.

4. Thumbnail

Thanks Johnsey. I was limited by flash power I'm afraid. My 16 year old 430EX flash has a problem somewhere in it's innards and doesn't communicate with the camera properly so no matter what setup I try the camera ends up shooting 1/60th @ f4 so the pof was a compromise to keep the front rim and stem as sharp as possible and let the devil take the hindmost as they say.

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Neat image, Thumbnail.

6. Thumbnail

Thank you Craig.

7. Thumbnail

Having failed miserably to produce a half-decent photo of a wine glass with red wine together with the bottle I abandoned the idea and started to wash the glass and then I thought .......
    Glass-Tap.jpg
    .... there's glass and there's water and it fits the challenge - so why not? :cool: Canon Powershot 260 HS

8. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I don't think your image was a miserable failure, you tried something that needed some correction to improve on it, these monthly challenges are here to do that, get you out of your comfort zone. Your next offering has succeded in that, excellent image, you are now thinking outside thebox, Thumbnail.

9. Thumbnail

Thanks Craig. Hmm, ....' thinking outside the box...' you've got my old grey cells ticking over again. ;)

10. John L

John L Active Member

I have been a very naughty boy and broken one of Johnsey's rules for this one - I have dragged something out of the archives, but the temptation was just too much, since it hits both water and glass requirements.

Taken after an overnight rain shower left beads of water on an outdoor glass-topped table at a pub.

[​IMG]Surface tension (3) by John Liddle, on Flickr

11. Thumbnail

Guildhall reflected in the glass of office building windows.
    Reflections.jpg

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Still trying to come up with something, this will be hard to beat.

13. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Nice image, personally I am still in thinking mode for an image.

14. Thumbnail

A water reflection by way of a change. A shot taken on my late evening walk around my local pond. Most of the waterfowl seem to have gone to bed and the annoying wind has faded away and sadly, so has the sunset glow in the sky. :(
    Walk_image.jpg

15. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Lovely shot, Thumbnail, I have been waiting for a windless time of the day for a similar shot, I have taken it but was using, dare I say it. A Nikon D300. The shot come out alright but wrong camera for the challenge. Still waiting for those calm coditions.

16. Thumbnail

Thank you Craig. I don't normally go wandering around the countryside so late in the day but I too was seeking that windless, ripple-free opportunity for the photo and do you know what, the peace and serenity made it much more that just a photo shoot.

17. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    This is something we both agree with, this time of year it is winter down here in Tasmania so a sunny, windless days are a peaceful relaxing time.

18. Ohm

Ohm Member

Equipment:
    EOS 5D
    EF 14mm 2.8L II USM
    EF 35mm 1.4L USM
    EF 85mm 1.2L USM
    SPEEDLITE 580EX
    Railroad glass. 4-sided metal globe. Possible Fresnel lenses (type of glass).

IMG_2869 (2).jpg

19. Thumbnail

A lovely image of the lamp Ohm - or is it some alien lifeform masquerading as a signal lamp? (I watch too much tv Si Fi :rolleyes:)

20. José Mª.

José Mª. Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    CanonEOS 350D, Canon EOS 2000D; lens 15-85 and Zeiss macro planar 90mm
    Thumbnail, great photography, lighting very well achieved without shadows highlighting the shape of the cup.