Just curious, do you download from card or camera

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by JohnReid, Aug 31, 2019.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

More of a topic for discussion I guess. I never used to download from my Powershots till I misplaced my card reader once and then I stopped taking the card in and out and got into the habit of plugging the camera into the computer as opposed to taking the card out and using a card reader. Canons EosUtility comes with the camera which makes me think that maybe they might recommend plugging the camera into the PC but am just curious as I know people swap cards for different projects and also carry a spare card just in case you might fill one up ( easy to do if you shoot RAW ) So, not so much for my education but a matter of finding out what others do and why, do you used a card reader or do you plug the camera into the computer? Battery life is less of a concern than what it was with my Powershot so I am assuming that is not really in the equation. Just wanting to kick off some discussion and give the forum some life.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50m 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0 L, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I think you can edit now, they were flagged for moderator by the filter, likely as your a new member and had minimal posts.

3. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

Thanks for the explanation , stilll want to see what others prefer, Plug the camera vis USB or remove card and use a reader. Just curious

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50m 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0 L, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I originally only transferred from camera via the utility. back in the mid 2000's when I started digitally. I began using a card reader more often a few years later. I think if your careful with the cards it doesn't matter. I always have a few pretty good size cards, transfer all shots and then back up the computer copies and reformat the card in camera so taking it out was not a necessity it just saved some transfer time on larger transfers.
    The other nice reason to connect to computer is that you can shoot in the studio tethered and see the shots on screen right away.

5. GDN

GDN Active Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I use two cameras.

My other brand camera uses two SD cards. So you are doing well to fill two cards, plus carrying a spare card or two is not a problem.

My Canon camera uses a single CF card. I am yet to need a second CF card. As with both cameras, once I get home, I download, and create a back up copy of my images.

I have one of those multi format card readers that lives with the rest of my camera gear. I remove the cards from the camera, and use the card reader. I use Windows to transfer the files from the card to my laptop. Once done, and I have checked that all of the files have been transferred, I return the cards to the camera. Delete the images and start again.

It maybe not the best way, but it works for me.

A while, pre Canon, I used to use a usb cable to connect the camera to my laptop and transfer the files. I honestly can't remember why I changed the process.

To quick view images, I use Windows, and to process the images, I use Elements. I tried Pentax's software that came with the camera once I brought my first camera, and was not that impressed. My 7D was brought second hand, so no software came with it, so I can't comment on Canon's effort.

Gary

6. MikeM

MikeM New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    I typically use the wireless transfer from my camera to my phone for photos. Otherwise I use a USB cable.

7. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

AS I said just for conversation, in fact I do both according to time etc. On another note I saw a camera yesterday that had the rubber door missing that covers the jack for the USB cord to plug into, I wonder just how fragile that part is

8. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, Mamaya C3 and 3 lens sets, Pentax MG and various lenses
    I used to go through the procedures listed here but I find my SD card plugs directly into my laptop.
    I then create a folder in Window with the place, month and year on it. The card is then returned to the camera and formatted. This way I do not fill the card too quick and the photos are easily found when I need them. Every so often I back up my hard drive on my computer, that way if the computer crashes the photos are not lost. This is not the initial discussion but should be considered, I found that my photography students usually had their photos all over the place, once they developed a routine, finding what they want is a lot more convenient.

9. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

Good point, I belong to Amazon Prime and one feature they give members is unlimited cloud storage of photos, they do limit video though. I have a folder on my hard drive that backs up to Amazon Photos on a regular basis.