Lens for Canon 6D Mark ii for artwork

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Amity, Oct 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Amity

Amity New Member

Hello, I’m considering a Canon 6D Mark ii predominantly for photographing fine art paintings. I’ve read up about a few lenses that would suit, but wondered what people here advise? Advice much appreciated

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Hi Amity and welcome to the forum.

How big are these fine art paintings? What sort of lighting are you going to be using as well?

Which lenses have you read up about and do you have any lenses that are standing out for you?

Gary

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    mirrorless might be a better option, more control over the technical side of stills imaging.
    saw this, i learnt a few things along the way too, thanks for the topic!

4. Amity

Amity New Member

Thanks, Gary. Most of the paintings are large, smallest being approx 50 x 50 cm but up to 1.5 m x 1.5 m. I’ve used various lighting set ups over the years, but have found natural daylight to be the best, avoiding direct sunlight of course. If I do shoot inside I have two lights either side at 45 degree angles to the canvas, with daylight bulbs. Still prefer being outside though. So far, the canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens has popped up the most.

5. Amity

Amity New Member

That’s a handy tutorial, thanks. I hadn’t considered mirrorless, but have just spoken with a photographer who thinks it’s a better option for me... off I go to read up on them...

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

What cameras and lenses do you currently own?

Gary

7. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Amity, May I got a little off track with what I would do, go to the camera store you intend to buy from and try the lenses they have there to see if it suits your needs, any good camera store should let you do this, a lot of the people on this forum are quite knowledgeable when it comes to gear but if you have a lens on your camera, you see for yourself if it suits you.

8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    For photographing artwork you will want to stay away from wide angle as will distort as you get away from the center and straight lines will curve. I would say something like 100mm macro will be nice but it is dependent on the distance from the artwork and the size. I would personally would shoot artwork straight on with the idea of presenting it as if it was a photocopy of the actual artwork, not sure if the purpose is for advertising the artwork or if it is more documentary in nature. Even lighting and straight on/centered would be my approach. If the object is large maybe a 50mm, for medium to small objects a 100mm macro probably works best so you can get as close as needed. Longer is probably not necessary.
    I personally don't think it matters if you are shooting mirror-less, apc, full frame, or large format film.