Lense Trouble....

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Dicky, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Dicky

Dicky New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon 1000d/Cannon XSi
    Just bought my daughter a Cannon XS/1000d for Xmas, she is 13 and wants to be a photographer. She is quite mature for her age, so this isn’t just a purchase to please a kid. The camera came with:

18-55 IS lens
    75-300 F4-5.6 III lens

Since she is so interested I figured I would buy a camera, and it would be something we could do together. Which she really likes that idea. So I picked up the following:

Cannon EOS XSi
    Same lenses.

My problem is that the 70-300 lens that I picked up, exact same markings, will not fit on my camera. It will not turn and lock in, with force that I am far more than comfortable with. Her lenses and my 18-55 (identical to hers) will fit on my camera, just not my 75-300. It will however fit her camera, it’s a little tight, but doesn’t feel to tight....

From any markings on the lenses, and looking at the attachment points, I can’t see anything different, and I have been a precision machinist for 25 years. So i am used to even the most minute details.

Any ideas what might be causing this issue?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Did you get both of them as a kit? If all items are new I would return your 75-300 and swap it out with a new one. All of them are the same mount, so the lens is the issue.

3. Dicky

Dicky New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon 1000d/Cannon XSi
    No, I bought them used...

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    welcome Dicky,I also am a Fitter and Machinist. I have read what you have said and have a question about the lenses.
    Are both 75-300 lenses Canon or a after market brand. If they are after market brand lenses, the bodies and markings may look the same but have different mounts to suit different brands of cameras.
    I suggest that you count the contacts in the mount and see if they are the same for each lens. Next place two lenses next to each other and see if the locking lugs and recesses are the same if not this could indicate two different mount types. all the best with it , Craig