lenses for 5D mark iv or 6D mark ii

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by KPsplash, Jul 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KPsplash

KPsplash New Member

Equipment:
    5D mark iii
    Hi , I'm new to the forum. I am debating between buying a Canon 5D mark iv, or a 6D mark ii
    I take mainly landscape, people and animals and some sport (mainly equestrian). With either of these cameras I'm wondering what are a good 2 or 3 lenses to start with. With my Pentax Kf5ii, I used an 18-135, 55-300, and prime 35mm (though didn't use this a lot). I'm wondering what similar range to get for Canon. ive been recommended a 80-200 2.8 and 2x converter for sport. Can't afford mega bucks but maybe up to £3000 for a good selection of lenses. Any recommendations? Any advice gratefully received

2. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D - 50mm F1.8, 70-200mm F4, 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    I'd say go with the 6D Mark II, I think it's a little bit newer. Cheaper too, and you can save money up for lenses. As for lenses, you're going to want a good all-around lens. Landscape and sport photography are on two different spectrum of what lenses you want, and it's ideal to get a lens for each thing.

3. KPsplash

KPsplash New Member

Equipment:
    5D mark iii
    Thanks for your reply Phil. I've had a look at the Mark IV and also the 6D Mark ii, and am leaning towards the 6D ii . I like the feel of it (smaller and lighter than the mark iv) and also the price is more appealing! I have seen some sniffy comments about the 6dii, some people say the flip out screen make it less robust, also it seems to be labelled as an "enthusiasts" camera rather than a professional.I figure if I go for this it will give me more money to play with for some really decent lenses.
    Can anyone recommend a good tele photo lens for sports type photography? Ive been recommended 80-200 with convertors, but am wondering more in the range of 70-300/400?
    Also what "walk around" lens, some where around 18-135? or maybe the 28-105 canon lens?

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum KP, I looked at your question and I would ask myself 1. why do I need to change camera brands I you already have a range of lenses in that brand and all a camera basically does is record an image, operate the shutter, aperture and sets the sensitivity of the camera's sensor , Any thing else on it is to increase productively of the photography. You did not say at what stage of your photographic development you are at, ether you are a amature, student studying or aspiring semi-pro. As you go through these stages, then the need for the camera you spoke of will then become more obvious. Look at the lens you use the most and purchase a better far superior lens to that. Go out an learn all you can about it and how to use it,This way will improve your photography far more than a fancy camera. It is the photographer not the camera that takes good photos. practice take care framing your shots . Above all go out and enjoy yourself.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  5. Ctrout

Ctrout New Member

Equipment:
    5D4, 7D2, Elan 7s, EOS 3, 100-400L2, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105L, 50mm 1.4
    Mamiya C33 Pro, Mamiya RB67 Pro S, 50mm Sekor C, 127mm Sekor C
    Nikonos V, 35mm f2.5
    and about 100 pounds of pentax M42, K, and M gear
    I have the 5D iv and I find the 24-105 f4 L to be an awesome "walk around" lens. I is suitable for some landscape work as well. You may be surprised to hear this but I think that the 70-200 f2.8 L is the better choice for many landscapes and, as you mentioned, an excellent lens for some sports as well. Those are the first two that I would start with if I were you. I have only four EF lenses, the 24-105 f4 L, the 70-200 f2.8 L IS, the 100-400 L mk ii, and the 40mm f1.4. I would have difficulty choosing between the 70-200 and the 100-400 because they are both amazing lenses but for the uses that you mention, I think the 70-200 might suit you better. The primary reason is because you mention sports. I think the faster 2.8 aperture would be helpful for fast moving subjects like horses. Also, horses are pretty big so they might fill the frame just fine without the need for the added reach of a 400mm zoom.

If, in your experience, the reach is more critical than the speed of f2.8, then a two lens kit composed of the 24-105 and 100-400 would have you covered for a tremendous focal range. If I could have only 2 lenses, that's what I would get. I don't use my 70-200 as much now that I have the 100-400 but I won't give it up because there are times when I need speed and not as much reach. This is where the 70-200 shines.

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I agree with your sentiments on the 24 - 105, I have the 28 - 105 f3.5 - 4.5 ultrasonic off a old film camera. This is my most use lens when using my 60D crop sensor and my 1D mark3 full frame camera. I have a lot of others I can use but this is my go to lens before I use the others.