Live View and Movie Mode Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by LeeTN85, Jan 1, 2020.

1. LeeTN85

LeeTN85 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel T6
    I have a canon T6 that I’ve had for over a year. When I first got it everything worked fine. I haven’t used it in probably 6 months. I took it out the other day and when I try to use live view mode you can here the mirror cycle like it’s attempting to lock in the up position but then I get Error 30. I get the same error if I try to put the camera in movie mode also. So the error has something to do with trying to lock the mirror in the up position. Once I remove the battery and reinsert it the error goes away. All the other settings and modes work and it still takes great pictures. I usually prefer to use the viewfinder anyways, so it doesn’t hinder the camera use much for me, but I’d like to have the camera work correctly. Anyone had this issue or have an idea of what the problem may be? I contacted Canon and they wanted me to send it back but it’s outside the warranty so I doubt it will be cheap to fix. I might be better off finding a used t6 body that is working instead. But I’ll try to fix it myself if I can figure out what the issue is.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Your probably right regarding repair cost, I would imagine parts and labor on even a modest repair will hit $300 buck reasonably quickly depending on the issue. I would have assumed the mirror got jarred or failed and needs replacement, but this seems electrical since a battery pull fixes it temporarily. Maybe it is a loose solder on a wire or a pinched wire. I guess if it was me I would factory reset, then make sure firmware is up to date in case it is a firmware glitch. And cross my fingers. Aside from taking it apart yourself those are your main options.

As for another camera, if you really want live view or shoot video, it would probably make sense to get another or upgrade it here. I would have worked the call with canon and been clear i had camera about a year and hardly used it, so it was clear that the camera was faulty and not because it was dropped. And I would have voiced that I don't feel I should have to eat the cost on such a repair so early with the camera. That said you can get plenty of good used options for 300 or less or you can put the money towards a 80d or something. So if the cost is out of pocket I would stick with it as a working backup camera without live view unless it gets worse and then if your brave you can take it apart.

3. LeeTN85

LeeTN85 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Rebel T6
    I did notice something odd looking through the settings. I have no options for a factory reset and I don't see any settings for movie mode. I can't even find the firmware version in the settings. I downloaded the 1.1.0 firmware from the Canon website and installed it and it didn't change the options in the menu. I am not sure how to fix this. How can this camera have completely different menu options?

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Canon Manual: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300022698/02/eos-rebelt6-1300d-im2-en.pdf
    Seems yellow setup menu 3 is where firmware is. Page 194 shows how to clear settings and return to factory reset. Also same menu as firmware. I didn't read the manual fully but you seem to have some movie settings. Have you read through the manual? Regarding a different menu in your last sentence I am not sure what menu you are comparing to. Most canons have very similar menus.