Macro with Powershot SX40

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by Tacho D, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Tacho D

Tacho D New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Powershot Pro1, Canon Powershot sx40, Canon A1
    I was used to a very good Macro and super macro facility on the Power shot Pro ! until I replaced it with a Powershot Sx40. On this more recent camera the macro is pretty much useless. It only works on maximum wide angle and you practically have to be touching the subject with the lens. Not only is most of the light then blocked out, but for insects and small wildlife, this is totally impractical. I have a more effective macro option on my Panasonic TZ30 compact. Definitely a step backwards. I am considering using a close up filter instead. Anyone tried this alternative?

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Tacho D, I use closeup filters a fair bit and have good results, they come in a variety of sizes, when you said that your light is blocked out, use a small hand held torch to light up the subject. Just hold it off to the side to light up the scene. You will need to adjust your white ballance setting in the camera.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I can say that I have never owned a close up lens that screws into the front lens thread. If I were you, I would grab one, and give it a go. I am sure these close up lenses are pretty easy on the pocket.

Gary

Tacho D likes this.
  4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Yeah the sx40 uses its macro function at 24mm which I would find very frustrating, as that is very wide! I definitely see why your frustrated. I prefer my macro lens around 100mm personally.

I would like to note that comparing those cameras is a bit difficult, The PRO 1 was a very high end bridge camera in its day, with a L designation on its glass. In 2004 it cost $1000, i opted for a canon 20D that year myself. The sx40 was a solid camera, but cost less than $500 when it came out in 2011 so they not on the same level. While it has better spec and ISO performance, the glass is not as good as what came in the Pro1, they don't put pro glass in these bridge cameras.

After that time Bridge cameras were on a roller-coaster of trying to fit in the last 15 years between compact point and shoots that got really nice, the G series became a professional level compact, and DSLRs that were cheaper and could out perform a bridge camera, and smart phone cameras that have got so nice they they can keep pace, and replaced the need for camera gear in plenty of situations. Bridge cameras have basically focuses on doing everything but not great, you get a solid swiss army knife of a camera but with limitations.

The main up side of grabbing a bridge for me is the higher end ones now days have such extreme zooms, that you can get reach you could not afford for a DSLR without dropping ten grand.

Tacho D likes this.
  5. Tacho D

Tacho D New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Powershot Pro1, Canon Powershot sx40, Canon A1
    Thanks Johnsey, that's about right, I knew there were going to be some compromises even as good as the SX40 is, it is no match for that L series lens. The zoom ability and versatility on these bridge cameras is truly impressive and as I am limited for space on a motorcycle carrying lots of lenses is out of the question. I will try my luck with close up filters under normal settings and about 100mm of zoom. Plenty of room for experimenting.