Manual input of lens on R5?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS R Series' started by Stuart Harris, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Stuart Harris

Stuart Harris New Member

I bought my R5 late in 2020 and unfortunately slipped and damaged the 24-105 lens on my first outing. So I sent the lens off for repair. It's now back and full functional.

But for 10 weeks, without an RF lens, and with the EF-RF adapter on back order (still now!) I bought an M42 adapter and have been using vintage lenses on my R5. Sheer delight, except for one thing: no lens data in the R5's photo files. Is there any way (or any prospect) of inputting the lens name into the camera at the time of usage?

2. Roy03

Roy03 New Member

I may be wrong, but if they're old lenses they probably wont have a chip in them with all the data stored to transfer via the electrical contacts

Roy

Stuart Harris likes this.
  3. Stuart Harris

Stuart Harris New Member

Thank you for your reply Roy. Any old lens definitely won't have a chip with data. So the only option that I'm aware of is to manually input the lens data at post-processing. It would be great if the R5 had the option to store manually input lens data and select it as an option from the menu.

4. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    only way of doing it would be the old way, if you regularly use vintage lenses take a small white board and pen, write down the lens and any other info thats relevant, take pic of the board for the first shot so when you get back you know the following images are of that lens etc

a great way for canon to implement file info from the user in the field would be voice to text onto the file, you could hold down a button, say the info and it gets put onto the file as a comment

5. Ian Docwra

Ian Docwra New Member

Equipment:
    R5, RF24-240, RFx2, RF600.
    I find that my picture data from any RF lenses used with my R5 excludes ISO settings when tranferred to my MacBookPro. Annoying and odd, but not a disaster.