Meaningful difference between APS-C and Super 35mm sensor?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Charlie Richards, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Charlie Richards

Charlie Richards New Member

I own a Canon EOS 70D (APS-C Sensor) and up till now it’s literally the only camera I’ve ever shot with, so I have very little knowledge or experience when it comes to any other formats, and I’m in the early stages of prepping for a film shoot that’ll be using a Canon EOS Mark II (Super 35 Sensor). The info I see online seems to imply that these two different sensors, while not IDENTICAL, are still pretty darn close, but everything I find on the subject just quickly glosses over this and doesn’t give much more detailed info, so I’m a little unsure and want to be 100% positive about the issue. I have the opportunity to access several locations beforehand with the camera I own (the 70D) and a 18-135mm zoom lens, so I’m hoping to be able to plan out much of the framing and camera movement, and to figure out exactly what primes I need to rent for the shoot. Is there gonna be any meaningful difference that I need to take into account between what I see through my 70D and what I’ll see on set when I look through the C300 Mark II for the first time, or am I more or less safe with this plan of action?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Can't speak for the personal use of the C300 as video is not my thing, but it sounds like a reasonable plan of attack, the difference should be slight, meaning if you were to do the reverse and mount a 50mm ef-s lens on the c300 you would get slight vignetting.

3. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    From doing a quick google search for the Super 35 sensor, it and a canon APSC sensor have the same crop factor of 1.6x in comparison to a FF camera sensor, This should mean that your 70D and C300 out put almost identical framing when used for video with the same lens. If I understand it correctly that is. So If you choose to use an 18-135 USM you'll get an almost identical video shot from both camera bodies. So with that said, you can choose your prime lenses according to your needs and they should give you almost the same results on both camera bodies.

Source: https://www.proav.co.uk/videos/explaining-crop-factor/

G.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Gregory, I have no experience with the C300 but I have done a lot of filming with the 60D, the model prior to your 70D, it produces excellent results with the only drawback being a limited time allowed for videoing. In a half hour video you have to do several film clips and join them together, I do this in Photoshop.

5. Gregory Lee

Gregory Lee Member

Equipment:
    Canon 80D
    Canon M50
    Canon M100
    A bunch of lenses and other stuff
    Charlie I believe this was meant for you...

6. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    oops, I mixed people up, sorry

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021