Multiple exposures of same shot

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by John Ballantine, Nov 21, 2022.

1. John Ballantine

John Ballantine New Member

Equipment:
    M50
    I've an R5. I want to record shots of the same image at say 4 different exposures around my chosen exposure (i.e.. -2, -1, +/-0, +1, +2). I can't find anything on the web to tell me the specific R5 settings. The R% manual is obscure to me on this. Can someone please help.
    P.s. I want to load the images into Photoshop and auto stack the ones I choose into one, rather than have the R5 stack them into one for me.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Exposure bracketing.....
    https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART178168

3. John Ballantine

John Ballantine New Member

Equipment:
    M50
    As I said, the manual does not help answer my question. It is unclear.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forums John,

I'm not sure which part you are stuck at here honestly. You did not ask a direct question, you stated it is unclear and told me what you wanted to do.

AEB actually works the same on all cameras but the menu location may be different, it allows you to simply set how far to bracket, for example 1 stop. Then you take three exposures and it will automate the -1, 0, +1 , this as stated in the manual means you have to trip the shutter through all 3 images..... hopefully that makes sense?

If you want a different number of exposures you can do what I been doing for for decades on film and just manually shift your exposure by adjusting the shutter or aperture and taking those under and over exposures that way.

OR you can use AEB multiple times, example: 1st set your 1st range of 3 to maybe 1/2 stops, then dial out to whole stops and take 3 more, then maybe 1.5 stoops or 2 stops and take another series of 3. You will have multiple copies of the 0 exposure compensation but that would be how to automate the +/- at different intervals.. You will still as always need to fire the shutter through all 3 exposures to get them.

Once you get all your images you can pull them into your photo editor of choice like Photoshop and do an HDR merge if that is what your looking to do with them.