My Memory Card Got Write Protected.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Quentin Schneider, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Quentin Schneider

Quentin Schneider New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 70D, 50 mm prime Lense, 18-55 zoom lense, 55-250 zoom lense
    Hi Friends,
    My Memory card got Write protected. How can I get it restored to normal? It's not working anymore.

2. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    On SD cards there is a switch that will set a card to read only, make sure that didn't get moved. If that is not the case, you may want to see if reformatting it is possible. If not, you may need to replace the card.

3. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

like this recover-data-dead-sd-card-10.jpg

4. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

Did that solve the problem?

5. Quentin Schneider

Quentin Schneider New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 70D, 50 mm prime Lense, 18-55 zoom lense, 55-250 zoom lense
    Hi Friends,

I tried this list of methods. Is there anything else I can tryout?

6. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    Reviewing the list, the registry edits and group policy editor would likely not be much help with using the card on the camera. These are removing locks being enforced by Windows. If the camera is not able to write to the card, it is either the physical lock, a full card, or a corrupted card. Reformatting may get a corrupted card "usable" again, but you are likely better off replacing the card.

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    In addition to what Mike said, I have a question....

I know the list told you to format the card, but you didn't happen to format with the computer originally which started this problem? What file system was the card formatted with? You should have FAT32, the camera will not be able to read it if you formatted with NTFS. You should always format with the camera to avoid messing up your card.

8. JohnReid

JohnReid New Member

IF that is the problem, you can tell your computer to format in FAT32 so if that is the case you might be able to rescue the card. But to be honest, cards are not infallible, it could just be a bad card. Still if it is the computer formatting problem Google for how to format in FAT32