Need help finding a Canon Camera for several projects.

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Viviana, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Viviana

Viviana New Member

Equipment:
    canon camera
    Hi, My 12 year old daughter is into acting, modeling and singing, and I make art jewelry. I need a camera that will take good modeling shoots, and videos for Youtube to use as a resume for her. I also need to take good pictures of my jewelry for a website. I appreciate if you could recommend a camera that works well with shooting head shots, jewelry and videos. I would like to shoot videos in 24fps to achieve a cinematic look, and I want to have the option to shoot at 4K as well. Since I'm a beginner at this, I'm not looking for a sophisticated camera, but one that together with good lenses can help me achieve what I want. Thank you. Viviana.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sounds like you may be looking for at least a 90D, being able to shoot 4k at 23.98 really narrows it down a bit. Many cameras only shoot HD not 4K and 23.98 is being introduced on firmware updates to newest hardware. Otherwise you may have 25fps as an option. HD at 25fps opens the doors quite a bit. Also keep in mind you will have to buy a large card but more importantly an extremely fast card for 4k files.

Portrait: for head-shots and mid length portraits you will probably want to grab at least a 50mm 1.4 and maybe a 85mm to pair with it. What camera you get is completely arbitrary. The other question is what sort of lighting setup you will be using/investing in.
    Video: Honestly in addition to the info mentioned, I would suggest that 4k is probably excessive for youtube uploads, it takes a lot more process time, takes up 4 times the space as HD and most users will view on their phone/tablet or computer at HD anyway. My 2 cents at least.
    Product photography: You can research this a bit, but you want to have a seamless background and even lighting this can be done with some strobes or LEDs and a light tent, or even as basic as a unwrinkled paper draped behind and under the object large enough to cover the whole frame. and provide a image with no seam showing. If your shooting just jewelry you can get away with clean white paper and nice indirect window light. However, you will likely want a macro lens to get close enough to the products.

upload_2019-12-9_12-12-37.png
    upload_2019-12-9_12-13-4.png

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019