Need lens recommendation for video (80D)

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Terresa Clay, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Terresa Clay

Terresa Clay New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon 80D,
    Starting this Fall , I plan on starting a new YouTube channel. I will be using my Canon 80D to film myself, in 1080p, while seated front of my desk. Currently, I own the old 18-135mm kit lens, and the cheap 100$ 50mm pancake lens.
    The camera will be sitting on a tripod(I have professional lights for photography/video).

On occasion I may shoot in dimly lit conditions for shadow contrast/mood/atmosphere . I need a good sharp lense...that has competent autofocus. Focus will be me(torso/head/ some room)

Been looking at these.

1. Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 Art ($600 new) (people mentioned bad autofocus problems, is this still true for new 2020 lenses and new 2020 drivers)

2. Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art ($700 new)(people mentioned bad autofocus problems, is this still true for new 2020 lenses and new 2020 drivers)

3. Cannon 17-55mm 2.8 ($400 used)

4. Canon 35mm 1.4 mark ii ($1250 used) (very expensive, especially considering I own a cannon 80D)
    I really like the images/colors on the sigma lenses, the colors look ever so slightly saturated and very appealing to the eye. Although, I've seen an overwhelming number of complaints online about Sigma lenses and their autofocus issues. People said it's a camera-related issue, and not lens related issue(I have an older camera). I'm not sure the issues we're fixed with new drivers, or they are just inherent with to the actual lens. Or my 80D just isn't fast/powerful enough to do autofocus competently with let's say the Sigma 18-35mm art.

----

Anyways, I want a nice sharp lens for videography with good autofocus, shooting indoors, shooting 1080p with 80D on a tripod.

Need recommendations, suggestions.

Thanks

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I have very minimal experience with sigma lenses but the Art ones are some really nice glass, and sigma has a dock for small adjustments to the back/front focus you may experience out of the box. I think if you want a sigma you can always return it or send it in if it is problematic.
    If I was aiming for something wide and fast indoor my initial thought would be the 24-70 as it has been the staple of wedding photographers for two decades, I personally went a different route and grabbed some primes. Which leads to my second idea, if your concerned about the price tag of the 35mm 1.4 why not go with Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, the 2.0 is plenty wide and you have the USM motor which is fast and quiet.

I would never worry about spending more on a lens than the camera by the way. Honestly that is how it should be, you should invest in glass that will last you twenty years and multiple camera bodies. The image quality is in the lenses. I also recommend getting the EF or full frame mount over the crop sensor mount when possible. Those lenses will work on both, and you can adapt them to other mounts as well. You may as well future proof yourself for the next camera body down the road as much as possible,