Negative but also Positive Impressions of EOS 90d

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by technochic, Oct 23, 2019.

1. technochic

technochic New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 90D
    EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
    EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
    Speedlite 430EX III-RT
    This is my first foray into cameras that aren’t point and shoot or encased in a phone. I’ve had the phone all of 10 days and well, I’ll have to return it. Two days ago as I was reviewing shots I had taken on the viewscreen, I got an Error 70 and then the viewscreen stopped responding to touch altogether. I turned the phone off and on and the Error 70 went away but the touchscreen is no longer a “touch” screen.

I contacted my retailer who gave me some rudimentary troubleshooting tips which didn’t work and then I contacted Canon directly. They also emailed a set of basic troubleshooting tips that didn’t resolve the problem. Going back to the retailer, they got Canon tech support in the line for me and then we went through some more involved steps which also did nothing, but the tech did advise that I return the phone and get a new one because he thought getting the Error 70 all of 8 days into using the phone was a troubling sign.

I’m currently on a month long international trip, which was one of the reasons I bought the camera, so I can’t return it until I get back to the US, which is after the normal 30 day return window would have ended, but since I reported the issue to the retailer well before the 30 days were up, it’s not going to be a problem to return for a refund and get another camera. Fortunately the camera still works so I can take pictures, but obviously disappointed that one of the key functions that factored into my decision to buy this camera isn’t working.

So it’s decision time, do I try again with the 90d and chalk this up as a fluke, or go with an older version that may have all the kinks worked out? Either way, I’ve been pleased with the customer support from the retailer and Canon.