New to this forum, trying to figure out what camera body to buy for my lenses

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by canonical123, Jan 23, 2023.

1. canonical123

canonical123 New Member

Equipment:
    canon lenses (2)
    Hello there, this is my first post. I inherited two lenses and a camera body from a friend who left them to me in their will including other non-camera items

I got an old Canon camera body, which I donated to my local elementary school.
    I got a Canon brand zoom lens 70-200mm ef 67mm
    I also got a Sigma DC 17-70mm 1:2.8-4.5

I want to buy a starter camera body to get into photography.

My question is, does it make sense to purchase either a R10, R7 or RP camera body, based on having/owning these lenses to use on them? As I say this I am watching a youtube vid discussing the comparison of these cameras.

Thank you

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Welcome to the forums canonical!

You have a great 70-200L lens in EF Mount and the Sigma is a nice short telephoto in the EF-S mount. Sounds like you may have donated a digital rebel away which would have been a good starter camera. Both lenses can mount to the R series using an ef to rf adapter. The EFs lenses will have the R series camera automatically crop to the smaller image circle as these are crop sensor lenses and the camera has a sensor larger than the optics of the lens.

All 3 choices would be good choices, I would opt for the r7 if you were going to invest in RF line of lenses going forward. That said you do not need to buy a new camera, good optic lenses are more important than the camera, cameras help with larger prints from larger megapixels, better low light performance and more customization.

An older used mid tier camera with low mileage can be found for a fraction the cost of a new R series. Below are b&h examples but you may be able to find a better deals on craigslist or ebay too, Adorama and Keh also have big used departments. I think its worth shopping around and seeing if you can find a nice advanced level apc camera to match for sigma lens. Once your conformable with more manual usage of for example a 70d, then you will know much better what you want to look for in the R camera (probably end up buying r6m2 or something down the road).

Again, I have not comparison priced much but the wheel house of a 70d or a 7dmk2 (not in example) would be my idea suggestion for a crop sensor body since you have that sigma ef-s. I hate suggesting a camera north of $1000 for someone just starting out, but i also don't suggest the lowest rebel level if you really want to stretch your legs and learn, they can quickly feel like they need to be upgraded.
    So this example from b&h is just that, a quick example of used pricing....
    upload_2023-1-24_13-2-42.png

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I can't comment on the Sigma 17-70 as I never used one. But I do own a RP and the 70-200. I really like this combination. I am not sure what sort of photography you are looking at doing, but the RP will give you good results. It is not the fastest of cameras out there. But as a starting point, I think it is a great little camera. It is not covered in buttons and dials, so learning how to use it is pretty easy. You will be able to use the Sigma aps-c lens on the RP, but it will be in crop mode. I am not sure what you would be looking at with a megapixel count. You should be able to pick one of these cameras up used as well.

The R7 and R10. Both are aps-c cameras. I have not looked into these cameras at all.

DSLR or mirrorless. I have both, but I prefer a mirrorless camera. I am sure there are others that prefer a DSLR.

Gary

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    My main camera is the Canon 60 D, never had a issue with it.