Next Landscape Lens

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Range58, May 15, 2020.

1. Range58

Range58 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon SL1, 50mm f1.8, 70-200, 18-135, Go Pro Hero 6
    Good day,
    I'm looking for my next landscape/astro lens and looking for suggestions from what you use.

I use a Canon APS-C sensor and want sometime preferably f2.8 or faster so I can good some good astro pics at lower ISO.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So the 18-15 is the one lens you have that is wider than 50mm? Well You could look a a 16-35L 2.8 that will be fast, a hair wider and costly. It has some overlap with you zoom lens but will work full frame if you ever upgrade.
    Rokinon/samyang also makes some manual focus lenses you can have for about $300. I suggest you get the 14mm 2.8 with the chip to confirm your manual focus. (I have this one you can see in my details.) The nice thing here again is that you can get them in the standard EF mount and future proof any camera upgrade. But to be honest I don't suggest EF-s lenes for that reason. Good lenses last forever, and outlast the body, so it makes sense to get the large form factor and use it on the smaller if you like.

Range58 likes this.
  3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

And good day to you and welcome to the forum.

It depends on what you really want to photograph at night time. Astro photography is a pretty wide subject in itself, as is landscape. I you are looking for a wide aps-c lens, the only lens that stands out is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8. I am not sure if it is going to be wide enough for your astro work, and landscape style. I do have this lens in Pentax K mount, and with the 1.5 factor, it works out to roughly a 27 to 52mm ish lens, on a Canon crop and it's 1.6 crop, it will be a little different. It has low coma, and is a constant f1.8 across the zoom range.

For landscape work, the lens is sharp, and to be honest, it has been my go to lens for a while now. Being a zoom it will give you a little flexibility.

But you need to take into consideration that this lens is an asp-c lens, so if you ever want to move up to full frame, you will have to use it in a crop mode.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Range58 likes this.
  4. Range58

Range58 New Member

Equipment:

Is there a big difference between f3.5 and f2.8 for astro? My 18-135mm is f3.5 at the 18mm end so is that really a big gain?

5. Range58

Range58 New Member

Equipment:

It does help. I've looked at the 18-35 Sigma f1.8 before just have not wanted to pull the trigger because of the price.

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I have this lens, and I will not sell it. And I am slowly moving from aps-c to full frame.

For landscape photography, it is well built. I have no fear attaching a square filter set to the front of the camera. The autofocus can be a little hit and miss on a dslr, but I use it in manual focus. It is solid and heavy.

In my eyes, it is worth every cent. The only down side to the lens is there is no full frame equivalent. The 20-35mm full frame is not quite as good.

I was actually out with mine last night doing some astro stuff. The first time in three years, so I was a little rusty to say the least.

Buy it, and let us know how you get on with it.I am really curious on how you get on with it, and what your results are like.

Gary