No Image on Canon Digital IXUS II model PC1035

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Monty Solanki, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Monty Solanki

Monty Solanki New Member

Equipment:
    Canon IXUS II, 30, 40 & 70
    I have an old Canon Digital IXUS II model PC1035. I have an issue that for some reason now I cannot see the image on the LCD monitor during shooting mode, it's all black. Also when I shoot an image it does not get recorded or saved on the SD card, it gets saves as a black screen. When I see the SD card on the computer it shows a black photo (no image). When I switch on the camera, I can see the Canon sign/logo on the screen and I can also see the previously save photos from my SD card. I can also see the full menu and the function items on the screen, but just can not see the image during the shooting mode, or no images get saved on the SD card. Also, I can not see the image I am planning to shoot. I have also reset the setting to default by pressing the menu button. Can anyone help me to bring the image to the LCD screen and save the photos on the SD card?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sounds like the shutter is stuck shut, that would explain the live view being black as well as the live view, both are seeing the back of a shutter.

3. Monty Solanki

Monty Solanki New Member

Equipment:
    Hi Johnsey, thanks for the response.
    The lens does open and moves for focusing. The shutter does click and it does take a photo but it's all black as I see the images on a computer.
    Do you mean the shutter inside the camera is stuck? how can I fix it?
    Thanks
    Monty

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I guess I cant be sure they put an internal shutter on these point an shoots, in fact its safe bet there isnt because of their small size. Im sure someone could dissect the camera and swap out the sensor unit which appears to be failing. But this is a 20 year old camera and you can pick them up for almost nothing. The camera in your phone is 10x better nowadays... probably not what you wanted to hear but you could get something equal or better off ebay/craigslist for far less than any repair cost.

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the Forum, Monty, I have to agree with Johnsey. It's stuffed.
    If it has some sentimental value, let it gather dust in the back of a cupboard
    and upgrade to a better model.

6. Monty Solanki

Monty Solanki New Member

Equipment:
    Hi Johnsey & Craig, thanks for your response and fully understand what you are saying and children say the same thing to move to new technology. But it's difficult to change an old man. I am a big fan of Canon and have a Canon digital camera IXUS 30 (monitor is not cracked but showing rainbow colours), IXUS 40 (lens unable to come out as it keeps on clicking), IXUS 70 (functioning okay), a camcorder MV830i and a Scanner.
    I use an old Nokia phone.
    Time to change and spend the hard earn money.
    Thanks for the honest advice.
    Take car.

7. johnsey

Equipment:
    I definite understand the idea of keeping something if it still works. I was just being practical, eBay and Craigslist type places can find you a much better camera to replace it for 50 bucks used and a brand new point and shoot is probably 150 (less if they have it on sale) and a repair by canon is upwards of $80 to $100 an hour.