Old EOS 1-D Digital issue

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by HeDog, Sep 23, 2022.

1. HeDog

HeDog New Member

I have an old EOS 1-D Digital that I haven’t used in quite some time. I’m having an issue where when I turn the camera on, the entire Exposure Compensation Amount bar is flashing. All of the displays (LCD monitor, top LCD panel, rear LCD panel) work fine and I can change setting in all of them. However, the camera won’t do anything. It won’t focus or take photos and this bar is constantly flashing. Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Thanks!

0D4D9BE1-70D0-454A-B846-54D29D1174F6.jpeg

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, HeDog. A excellent camera you have there. I have the mark 3 version. Have you tried upgrading the software. his should be available on the Canon site.

3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Actually I think that will be quite the battle for ya Hedog, is it the mark 1 version form 2001? Canon does list firmware but they have removed all firmware for older cameras, definitely for anything back in the eos utility v1 days, which you cant download the utility either. All that stuff built back in the Windows XP and early OSX versions has been taken down and has long been out of common support need. Also there are plenty of scam sites promising downloads of old software, I would not trust 99% of that.

Craigs idea was good, upgrading firmware "may" resolve the glitch. But you could also have the circuity failing due to age or corrosion. based on its value/age It would probably be a better idea to just consider it a self piece and get something newer and easier to support.