Oldies - EOS 450D vs D60

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Edom31, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Legacy Glass in these mounts (adapted to EF): Yashica C/Y; Olympus OM; Takumar/M42s
    Hello folks… I've lurked before but this is my first post around here.

Now, I've owned a used 450D for about 1.5 years. I bought it initially because I mistakenly acquired a Sigma lens for EF mount and I lacked a Canon dSLR (I mostly shoot a different brand - not Nikon btw).

The lens in question is the Sigma 105/2.8 EX (Note that is the 1st-1st version - non DG, straight EX)

So when I got my 450D, to my surprise, I got the error of communication… I kept the 450D and the Sigma - I was able to bypass the error and shoot more than 1 shot and turn-off by simply blocking the contacts with electrician's tape (without the glue to not damage either the camera or the lens).

Further I kept the 450D as I also have a rather nice collection of OM (Olympus) glass that I could not adapt to my main rig without a glass adapter. I like the result of OM in my 450D (I'll do some posts in the photo section later, this is my first day here…). This led me to get a C/Y glassless adapter (on its way) to fit my Yashica ML 50/2 on my EOS.

As you can see I'm into old manual lenses. I also many M42s which I use with my Canon and my main rig as well - with this you can guess what I primarily shoot.

Where does the D60 fit in all of this? Well, months of research leads me to believe that a Canon EOS dSLR pre 2003 will indeed accept my Sigma EX lens (I can elaborate on this… the warning from Sigma and rechipping began with the 10D, a camera that came after the D60 - you can see this info in the Canon website - I tried to add the website, but it was not allowed...).

Thus, I've just acquired a D60, again, so I can shoot my EX lens and actually use its smaller apertures (I do not care about AF). I am not guaranteed that the EX lens will work with the D60, but based on my readings, it is my best bet.

Now finally my question = is it worth for me to keep both the 450D and the D60? In terms of the sensor, are the images from the D60, being a semi-pro-ish model, better than the ones form the 450D, being a beginner model?

Few things I already know - D60 has about half the MPs that the 450D has - thus a crop from the 450D would be more detailed. This is a non-issue for me, I rarely crop that much. Also I know that the pixels from the D60 are bigger than the 450D's…

Another thing - I rarely shoot past ISO 800.

So… with all that into consideration - Can the D60 fully substitute my 450D?

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You will find that there are people here that shoot with more than one brand of camera, and with old lenses as well. So welcome aboard.

To answer your question. I had to do a bit of internet research about thses two cameras, but please correct me if I am wrong. Both cameras are apc-s sized sensors, yes one has twice as many mega pixels as the other. I am guessing that the D60 is better built than the 450D. What I would do if I were you, is carry both cameras side by side, and take images that you would normally take with both cameras. Then see which one feels better in the hand. Which one you feel most happy with using, which one has the better viewfinder, etc. Download and view some images on your PC and see which images from which camera you prefer the most. I would make my choice that that way.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Edom31 likes this.
  3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Edom31, hello and welcome to the forum, I think people read too much into pixels, unless you have a specific shot that needs a large amount Then the older camera with smaller amount of pixels can produce as good a photo as a later model, remember it is not the camera that takes a good photo, it is the photographer.
    I have a 10D and a 350D and the photos I take with them are on par with my 50D and my 60D.
    If I compare my 60D to the 80D, owned by the community house,were I teach my photography class there is a improvement when it comes to video.
    The 80D is far superior but compare normal photos , either camera is usable.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Edom31 likes this.
  4. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Legacy Glass in these mounts (adapted to EF): Yashica C/Y; Olympus OM; Takumar/M42s
    Thanks for the welcome and reply, Gary. I will do a walk-around plus some "controlled" testing inside. While I know it would not fetch much, I may be able to let my 450D go and maybe get something back. Both cameras I acquired for under $70, so I do not see much to gain or loose here.

I'll say one thing - the sensor on the 450D is sparkly-clean. I've never cleaned it, but it never catches dustbunnies or any debry. I am truly amazed by that with that little camera.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hold up a second, I assume you actually mean a D60 which is a 6mp Nikon. Not a 60D Canon. I make this assumption as you said the resolution was half the 450d which is 12mp. The D60 from nikon was a great camera back in 2003, very popular. Nikon has the D first Canon has it after. Is it a substitute for something newer? No, allot changes in regards to sensor speed and ISO noise just to name a few over the years. I am not a pixel peeper really but you will notice the difference from an 2003 to a 2010 camera.

That said the D60 will produce fine images at lower ISO and you specifically called that out as you have researched. As long as you do not want to print larger than 6x9 you should be more than ok. For me resolution is really all about print size, you can see charts online to convert it but 8mp was enough for 8x10 and as you go up the curve is less rewarding as you need more and more MP for more inches.

These camera can also be picked up for next to nothing now. So why not buy and use your old lenses on it. You can adapt old manual lenses to a newer body as well and not use electronics so you can explore both options. Maybe get something from the 2 digit series a step above the 450 entry level like the 60d or 70d if you want older and used.

6. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Thanks for your input Craig. I am afraid of your true words "not the camera but the photographer"... in that case, I reckon I just should never update to top of the line (can't polish a turd, as the saying goes :) ).

Good to hear about your personal comparison with what you've seen here. I also see like that when I compare my main rig (prosumer level) with what is considered high in the line on that system (not top)... very similar results. The artistic vision is what takes the shot to a new level.

Cheers!

7. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Hey Johnsey - Actually there is a Canon D60 and a Canon 60D. Confusing, eh!
    It is a model from 2002. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_D60

According to the timeline in the article, Canon only made 2 models with a "D" in front of the model - D30 and D60.

8. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Just to add to the confusion, there is a Canon D60 as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_D60

Gary

9. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    Well folks... My research was fruitful!

D60 came in, good to go - the hotshoe is bad (I won't use it), and I do not know if the AF is messed up - I only have one EF lens (I have an EF-S lens but it does not fit in the D60).

Nevertheless, I 98% of the time rely on Manual Focus. Also, the Sigma EX 105/2.8 just pops into focus. I am amazed, I've been shooting this lens only wide open, and while good, I can now make full use of this gem!

I'll either keep the 450D as a spare or just pass it on to a friend who might actually use it - I doubt it'll fetch much on the bay sites. Tomorrow I will do a true test between the 450D and the D60 (using likely OM glass).

Photos will be coming up in the Photo section.

10. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Well done. Looking forward to seeing your images.

Gary

11. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Edom 31, it is funny how we take a liking to a camera, even though it has intricacies such as with your D60.
    I have a 50D that has a jog wheel that refuses to change the shutter speed but there are ways around it and I still like to use it even though I have other cameras.
    I had a ex-wife like that, she had her intricacies but she decided that she did not want to tolerate them in a husband.
    She and the cat left, I do miss that cat.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  12. Edom31

Edom31 Member

Equipment:
    EOS 450D
    EOS D60
    I really got a chuckle off of this! But it is so true... I held to a laptop computer for about 5+ years (while in college) that the "Delete " key would not work. No backspace key either (was a Mac) - I did a lot of writing with it. To delete something I had to select the text and either write over it or just press the space bar. People could not bear use my computer! I was so used to it, that I continued the trend with my then-newer laptop. To date, I still do this from time to time.

My wife does dislike the intricacies of her husband... but hey, she got some of her own (I cannot put coffee mugs in the cabinets with the handle pointing left. They must point right - to name one).