On camera speedlite not firing!!

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Amy Walters, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    Hello people- haven't seen you guys in a while!!

For an assignment on my photography course, one task is to take a picture of a still life composition using an on camera flash (yuk).
    Horrible but it must be included.

I thought I had got it my attaching an Amazon basic speedlite (which I tested with the test button once attached and it fired fine) to the hot shoe on my canon 5D II, setting white balance to flash. Took the pic assuming the flash had fired (I was working in bright light- you will understand why when you see the idea behind my composition). However when I reviewed the photos in lightroom, it said flash did not fire! Disaster. And double disaster as due to a nutty 2 1/2 yr old daughter of mine, part of my composition had been knocked off, broken and had to be binned. I reset the composition as best I could as it had been and tried to take the flash photo. Again, the flash didn't fire! I took random shots around the room and no flash. Yet press the test button and boom, the flash fires so I know the speedlite works. I'm worrying I'm going to have to buy a more expensive Canon specific speedlite unless you can help me. Camera was set to manual, speedlite set to manual, WB to flash, I half pressed, then pressed for the shot and nothing. Can you suggest something? It may be the connection but I really don't think it is, it seems very securely connected. The speedlite just isn't talking to the camera. Can you help? Ironic that it will probably be my least favourite picture of the whole series!!
    Thanks for your help in advance!
    Amy

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This should be a connection issue where the fire signal is not getting received by the flash. Do you have the option to connect a pc cable? I glanced at the reviews looks like the flash is quite cheap and some people are reporting failures which leads my to think there could be faulty wiring at the shoe mount for the flash. Maybe return the flash?
    If your looking for a budget option, YONGNUO is a pretty solid 3rd party flash maker that has a number of different cloned options of the Canon and Nikon flashes. I have the wireless transmitters and love them.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  3. ChipB

ChipB Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 80D, 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-85 USM, 70-300 NANO, 100 2.8 macro
    Amy, the 5D II with a non-Canon flash *probably* needs to be in M mode with the shutter speed set at 1/200 or below. At least, that's the requirements for a couple of different Canon EOS cameras. Good luck.

4. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    Actually I'm embarassed to write this but it was the batteries running down so low that the flash wasn't able to fire up again after I tested it.
    I'm really sorry for wasting your time - you always give great advice. Hope you had a lovely Easter and sorry for the late reply! Amy :)

5. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    And that's to both of you by the way but I've chatted to Johnsey before! Nice to meet you Chip :)

6. ChipB

ChipB Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 80D, 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-85 USM, 70-300 NANO, 100 2.8 macro
    Amy, glad the problem turned out to be easily 'fixable'. And nice meeting you too.

7. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    You too!

8. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    I think I will invest in the Yongnuo speedlites- the Amazon basics have been ok but it's time for a step up I think!