Partially blacked out images

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Adam Jackson, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Adam Jackson

Adam Jackson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1300D
    18-55mm kit lens
    50mm 1.8 lens
    Sigma 70-300mm telephoto lens
    Hey!

I'm looking for some advice on a recent camera repair (or not) that I had.

Just under 12 months ago, I bought a Canon EOS 1300D as a beginners camera, and everything was going great until about 3 weeks ago.

I noticed that at 1/200 shutter speed, a third of my image was blacked out. The higher the shutter speed, the more of my image was blacked out. I did some research and came across an article which explained it could have been caused my a sticking shutter, and so I set a slower shutter speed and took an image without my lens to try and monitor the action, but I couldn't spot anything untoward.

In the end I took my camera back to the shop where I purchased it (Jessops) and they agreed it sounded like a sticking shutter and so promptly sent it off to Canon under warranty.

Today I received an e-mail to say that the camera is ready for collection, but that the Canon techs could find nothing wrong it. The camera is now outside of it's original warranty and I'm concerned that nothing will have changed.

Does anyone have any ideas what could've caused this problem if the shutter is ok? Could it be me?
    It's worth noting that I tried 3 lenses in total and all suffered the same problem. I also tried, with and without the flash.

2. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D - 50mm F1.8, 70-200mm F4, 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    Welcome to the site!

Are you taking these pictures with a flash by any chance?

3. Adam Jackson

Adam Jackson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1300D
    18-55mm kit lens
    50mm 1.8 lens
    Hi Phil,

Some were taken with flash and some were taken without. What are you thinking?

I am thinking it could be the fact that I’m still new to DSLR and external flashes.

4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello,

Are any of the images not taken when using the flash partially blacked out when using a fast or slow shutter speed?

Or are the ones blacked out only when you use the flash, and faster shutter speeds? That is faster than 1/200 of a second.

I reason that I ask is it could be a possibility that you are using your flash unit with faster speeds than what the flash sync speed is.

Gary

5. Adam Jackson

Adam Jackson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1300D
    18-55mm kit lens
    50mm 1.8 lens
    Hi GDN,

Yeah, I took several images with the flash and several without. They were all the same (darker the higher the shutter speed).

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    So when you take an image at a higher shutter speed with no flash, when you review the image on the rear screen of the camera, the image is partially black?

Gary

7. Adam Jackson

Adam Jackson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1300D
    18-55mm kit lens
    50mm 1.8 lens
    Yeah that’s right. It’s worth saying that at the time I did transfer images from camera to ensure it wasn’t a faulty LCD.

8. Phil

Phil Administrator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D - 50mm F1.8, 70-200mm F4, 17-70mm F2.8-4.5
    The only reason I asked whether you used a flash was because most cameras can't sync the flash after 1/250.

I would talk to Canon about them not being able to fix a problem that sounds easy to replicate...

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I would be sending it back as well and asking Canon to fix it.

Gary

10. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Agreed

Adam, I would get on the customer service number and talk to someone. You have a limited liability warranty on the camera from canon itself for a year after purchase. If you use a flash it can be out of sync with the shutter as described above, pretty easy to validate that its happening without a flash to eliminate that being the culprit. So clearly the techs didn't test very well if it is still having issues. I does sound like a shutter issue to me as well, and maybe the techs only tested slow shutter speeds and didn't see an issue I am not sure. I would definitely explain the shop sent it in and it returned still with the same issue, so they know the techs dropped the ball on this.