Pentax DSLR & Canon compact users

Discussion in 'Canon PowerShot Series' started by Hoggy, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Hoggy

Hoggy New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
    Since this site launched from Pentax forums, which I've been a member of for several years, I'm wondering if it must be a common occurrence in which peoples' main DSLR cameras are Pentax and their carry-around compacts are canon?

Seeing as how Pentax doesn't yet make raw-capable advanced super-compacts (that I know of), and Canon does, my guess is that this must be common. Of course there's the Sony 1-inch high-end compact series, but before that I think the Canon S-series (S95, S100, etc) were the reigning advanced super-compact cameras available. I may be wrong about that though, as I had just gotten my first DSLR - the Pentax K-30 - so I was just getting back into photography at the time I had found the super-compact S100 carry-around-camera.. But from what little I can remember, I think I searched around and mainly only found the Canon S100 to be the most advanced super-compact available when I got it. (Although it may have been possible the S110/S120 was out around the same time - but they didn't have built-in GPS, so I would've gone for the S100 anyways.)

Sooo.. Are there many others in the same boat? Pentax DSLR's and Canon super-compacts...??
    I've been wondering about this for quite a while now.. :)

2. Barondla

Barondla New Member Site Supporter

I have Pentax DSLRs and 2 Canon ultra compacts (700 series) and S110. I did have a used Pentax A40 that was poorly treated. The idiot before me pryed the battery door off. The little hook that held the battery in, finally broke.
    My other Pentax compacts are the Q.

So yeah, Pentax DSLR with Canon compacts.

Hoggy likes this.
  3. FarmerJim

FarmerJim New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon Powershot G12
    Gorillapod Hybrid
    Pentax K5 DSLR, lenses, etc.
    I shoot with a Pentax K5 DSLR and a Canon Powershot G12. I think that like many other people, when possible and for the best images, I take the DSLR. If I am trying to be more portable or less intimidating, I'll take the G12. The G12 is also the camera that goes everywhere from fishing to backpacking. I am not going to tote around a heavy camera for that...

Barondla likes this.
  4. Tim Cote'

Tim Cote' New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 70 D, Canon SL1, Canon G-15
    I shot with Pentax for many years but jumped ship to Canon because Pentax lacked tethering. I currently use a Canon 70 D, SL-1 and my G-15 for what I call my museum kit. I use a simple lightweight mono pod with a stationary base with feet . It allows stabilization of the small G 15 for low light photos (museum lighting) as shown below for which it does a wonderful job.

Correction made!!
    Need to make a correction to my original post as I submitted the photo of the "Little Deuce Coupe" as being shot with the Canon G-15 when in reality it was shot with the Canon 70 D. I have included a photo of REO firetruck which in fact was shot using the Canon G-15. Sorry for the error.

REO-Firetruck.jpg

small-beachboys.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Biro

Biro New Member Site Supporter

I'm all over the map when it comes to cameras. Pentax is my DSLR kit but I also dabble in micro four thirds and Fuji. I've been fortunate to be able to do that. But my compacts are Canon - the G5X and G9X.

Other one-inch sensor compacts may test better, but subjectively I find the G5X a more satisfying to use. And for genuine ultra-pocketability, you can't beat the G9X - even while carrying it in a suit pocket. It's my go-to camera for formal occasions in dimly lit restaurants.

I have yet to be disappointed with either camera.

Vasile Guta-Ciucur likes this.
  6. Golum

Golum New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Spotmatic, K-50, ELPH-180
    Have used Pentax since the 70's for shooting excursions. Carry a Canon ELPH-180 while walking for exercise or while hiking for pleasure.
    When the Pentax Forum made this offer to join the Canon Forum known, I thought it would be a good opportunity.

Barondla likes this.
  7. lightbox

lightbox New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot S100
    Pentax K-50
    You're not alone @Hoggy, though in my case I discovered the S100 almost incidentally. When I got married a few years back we didn't have a functioning camera so we picked up an S100 for our vacation. It impressed, and I especially liked the RAW support, manual controls, and (discovered by accident) that its pop-up flash can trigger my external flashes in a pinch. Manual mode and no high-speed sync, of course, plus the S100's flash contributes to the exposure... but it works! Great for quick/easy eBay product photos shooting through sheets of white paper.

We ended up with a second one (maybe an S110, I don't recall) that stays with my wife and the S100 has found a home in my camera bag next to the Pentax K-50.

Incidentally, the Mrs. recently was gifted a K-S1 (aren't I thoughtful? :p) so she's now also using the Pentax DSLR + Canon P&S combo. Though neither one gets nearly as many "clicks" as her Samsung smartphone.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Jay Emm

Jay Emm New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax ME Super, Pentax *istDs, Pentax K10 & grip, Pentax KX, Pentax K50, Pentax K70, Pentax K3II & Grip and various Len`s.
    Sony Cybershot P10, Canon SX20 IS, Nikon Coolpix P900, Samsung S5 Neo Smartphone.
    I use the Pentax K3II and K50, also bridge cameras Canon SX20IS and the Nikon Coolpix P900.
    I've had issues around the UK where National Trust properties are reluctant to let me carry my Pentax and Bigma, even in a secure bag, the reception have mostly asked me to leave my camera at the door, so I wait outside. (I dont trust strangers to look after my camera)
    The bridge cameras are handy to have around, the Nikon for the incredible reach and the Canon slips easily into your pocket.

9. romko

romko New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
    Hi, that's exactly my situation! I own Pentax K30 DSLR for 4 years already, and this year I bought Canon PowerShot G7X Mark II. So far so good - when I can, I carry Pentax, it's IQ, speed and handling are better, but when extra weight would seem like a burden, or when I need to record video more than shoot, there comes Canon.

10. Hoggy

Hoggy New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
    Yeah.. I still like my Canon S100 very much - because of its built-in GPS. I have belt holders for both my G7X and S100 - just barely bigger than the camera.. But also big enough to hold 4 spare S100 batteries, and 3 spare G7X batteries (I never want to feel rushed due to their very limited battery capacities). If I carry my G7X, I'll generally also carry my S100 for it's GPS. I'll either take a 'GPS location shot' with the S100, or keep the S100 in it's track-logging mode, or both -- all those spare batteries make things nice like that :D ). I even have CHDK on one of the S100's SD cards - for if I want extra stuff to play with.

For me nowadays, a bare minimum requirement for any easy-carry ultra-compact is that it must absolutely be raw-capable. No more jpg for me - EVER! Except maybe as final 'prints' after the raw processing. I just wish that more of the advanced ultra-compacts had built-in GPS.

I do have to hand it to the S100's image quality, though. I'll be thinking that I'm working on a G7X raw, and then lo-and-behold, I find out that it was actually an S100 raw. So the S100 still ain't no slouch. Hard to believe that it's now considered my 'junker' type camera (but never treated like a junker). My previous turned-junker camera was a Fuji S7000 bridge but I gave it to a friend, along with an Olympus S720SW ultra-compact, for helping me move.

Though if Pentax made any advanced [raw&manual-capable] ultra-compacts, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Well.. If I wasn't already thoroughly tapped-out, money-wise, that is. :)

11. LeChat

LeChat New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon G12
    I had a similar kit for a number of years; my SLR was however the K5ll. It was great. The SLR has now gone. The weight of the camera plus 18mm-135 mm has just become a little too heavy for me to go walking with. I am intending reolacing it with a Canon G5X or a Panasonic Lumix TZ100. Both have 1inch sensors but have different pros and cons. It is difficult decision. Any help would be appreciated. LeChat (new member).

12. Alnilam

Alnilam New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Mostly Pentax DSLR, but when it comes to compact Canon PowerShot
    Hoggy, this seems to be not unusual - at least I also go like that. I used to have Pentax SLR and then DSLR all the time, and since digital is available also Canon for a compact. I still have the PowerShotSX220 - don't know if this numbering is the same in the US (I'm german). I love the Canon for its good picture and video capability in respect to its size, and at the same time fits perfect and unconspicously in a coat or trouser's pocket.

13. Sunil

Sunil New Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon SX230HS, Pentax K 50, DA 50mm, DAL 18-55WR, Tamron 18-200, Tamron 17-50 2.8
    Like the post says, Pentax DSLR and a Canon PS, while in my case, it was the canon PS Sx230HS that fuelled my desire to get more out of the images I shot, took the plunge and got myself a Pentax K50. both are amazing and very accomplished cameras for an enthusiast / beginner.

14. S95guy

S95guy New Member

Equipment:
    5D, 50 1.8, S95, SX260HS
    I use a Pentax K50 and K5, but I always have my PS S95 on my belt as a backup. Great camera.

15. paulh

paulh New Member

Equipment:
    A couple older Powershots !
    Count me as another Pentax DSLR/Powershot user. I've owned a couple older Powershots (SD450/SD1100 IS) for years, but bought a Fuji X10 awhile back as my supercompact. The X10 was great, but now has an SD card holder issue, so it's back to the old Canons. They just won't break!

SD450:
    [​IMG][​IMG]canna closeup by Paul Hensley, on Flickr[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  16. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

That is a beautiful shot of the canna, Paul. In the right hands, a small p&s can produce the goods.

17. BBzone28

BBzone28 Member

Equipment:
    Canon FX, A-1, AE-1, AL-1, T60, T90, F-1, new F-1, EOS Rebel II/G/2000/T2, EOS Elan IIe/7N, EOS 50D/20D/10D, Digital Rebel XS/XT/Original
    Thought I'd chime in my 0.02 since I once fit that profile, although this is an older thread! :)
    Years ago, after I had purchased a (then) new Pentax K20D DSLR, I also used a Canon PowerShot A720IS compact digicam.
    I used the A720IS because it was relatively inexpensive+smaller with 6x IS zoom/SD cards when I didn't want to lug around or be noticed with a bulky DSLR & lenses when not required. It took great pics and had an optical VF so it could last a long time using alkaline AA batteries and proved to be very reliable/responsive along with manual control capabilities (though limited) and PASM dial as well!!! :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  18. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I've been using the work Canon Powershot, and it's pretty easy to use and it does a pretty decent job. I have it set to auto every and it's idiot proof. Small, lightweight, and easy in the hand.

Gary

19. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I have a Powershot swell, I find it useful when I am out and don't wish to luge a camera around, since I don't have a mobil phone, it works for me.

20. Sapper

Sapper New Member

Equipment:
    Canon G5X powershot
    I'm a Pentax K3 user but I wanted a light compact to carry around town for photowalks, I found a refurbished Canon G5X on the Canon site about a month ago and the price was right. It's taking a little time to getting used to especially because of it's small size. So far I'm very happy with the results of it though.