Please advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Lplateson, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    Hi all

As the name suggests I am still learning

I am lucky to have a Canon R5, so yesterday i was in my car and taking some images of a scene through an open window, shooting Auto ISO 320/1 f5 with a rf70-200 2.8

Having taken a few images i brought the camera inside the car to view the images, which were satisfactory, 30 seconds later i went back to the open window to shoot again the same scene and the image in the view finder was completely bleached, i never changed a thing

I needed to turn the camera off and on again for this to reset

This has happened on a few occasions now

The other issue is sometimes it goes the opposite way and goes very dark but more often bleached

look forward to some constructive advice and no doubt a little criticism

thank you

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome, Lplateson, to the forum, this is a camera I am unfamiliar with but my I suggest send your query to Johnsey as this is his area of knowledge.

3. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    Thank you will try that

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Did you take any images when this happened? Or look at the settings of the meter? I don't have an R5 but the viewfinder is electronic, so its a display of what the sensor is getting, and it sounds like there is a glitch updating the live image. I am not sure if it affects the camera metering or not, but I would update the firmware to the most recent and see if it persists then call canon, something like this seems like a hardware bug but could be a firmware one, which is why I suggest the firmware first. Also canon customer service will ask the same.
    I do not know how close to the end of warranty you are but this is something you will want to fix under coverage as the parts are going to be spendy.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  5. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    @johnsey

Hi thanks for reply

Yes i took images and they were exactly as showing in the viewfinder, completely bleached, i tried whilst attempting to take the image, to adjust down the exposure but it just wouldn't make a difference, only option is to turn off and on

latest firmware installed already so guessing it a trip to canon, still got 6 months warranty

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  6. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    any chance of a video showing this in effect?

7. KiloHotelphoto

KiloHotelphoto Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    R5, R3, RF600/F4 IS, RF100-500, RF 100 2.8, RF24-105 F4, RF50 1.8, RF1.4TC, RF2X TC,
    I would say turn off auto ISO and see if the problem happens again.

I'm thinking that when you brought the camera and lens back into the car you went from bright outside to a darker interior, you probably pointed it down to chimp and the auto ISO jumped up several stops and when you stuck it back out it didn't correct. What were the ISO levels on the first shots then the washed out ones?

With the three dials on the R5 it's so easy and fast to shoot full manual and being able to see your exposure change instantly and having the histogram in the viewfinder auto ISO just not worth it.

Lplateson likes this.
  8. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    @KiloHotelphoto

thank you that sounds highly feasible, and not something i thought of, makes sound logic

Unfortunately i have deleted the bleached images so, will continue to use the body and settings until it does it again and then check the ISO immediately after, i am sure that it will manifest again within a couple weeks, and i have got about 7 months of warranty left so no risk

thanks again def something im going to look out for

9. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    Excellent news and thank you to everyone who tried to help, in particular @KiloHotelphoto

After @KiloHotelphoto suggested the Iso issue (as have others) i checked and rechecked, and i decided to speak to Canon, thought there was nothing to lose, R5 is still under warranty so go for it

I was impressed with the manner and speed in which they came back to me

Long story short, i have a silicon case on all my camera bodies to protect them, this particular case, which i complained to the vendors about at the time of purchase, was very tight and surprisingly was clipping the AE button (*) as i was lifting the camera upwards, obviously as it was viewing darkness it shot everything skywards

Problem solved, turn it off

And get rid of the silicon cover too

thank you all

10. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Thanks for replying, quite often new members ask for advice and we do not receive any feedback, a little disheartening sometimes.

11. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    @Craig Sherriff

it is part of my upbringing; say thank you when someone does something for you and you’ll always be welcomed back with another request

without this forum I would have had no idea and likely wasted time and money sending it away to be checked

12. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    Such a polite attitude is always welcome, the sign of s good upbringing, it will be interesting to see what you come up with in this month's comp.

13. Lplateson

Lplateson New Member

Equipment:
    canon r5
    9DD1F61C-9AF9-469D-A535-C291A728A13B.jpeg
    This is an image from a trip to Canterbury absolutely gorgeous, shot with the R5 and rf 70-200

PaulW, JRS950 and rayallen like this.
  14. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    I agree, all the elements in the image fit nicely together and the waterway leads the eye into the image

15. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

A very pleasant and interesting image. Keep them coming.

16. sharmasatbir069

sharmasatbir069 New Member

thanks def something im going to look out for.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021