Please help with price on canon EOS 450D and associated lenses and accessories.

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Damien Jenkins, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Damien Jenkins

Damien Jenkins New Member

Equipment:
    Canon eos 450d
    Hello to you all, I hope someone may be able to help me.

A friend of mine (who isn't too Internet savvy) recently lost his partner, and they left behind their Canon camera with lenses and accessories. He doesn't need a camera and would therefore like to sell it. I was wondering whether anybody here could please help me to get some idea of how much this gear all costs (or more to the point what it's worth secondhand) and where the best place may be to advertise it?

I think I have attached some pictures, so if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.
    Thank you all in advance.
    Kind Regards
    Damien
    1000844.jpg 1000823.jpg 1000838.jpg 1000840.jpg 1000835.jpg 1000836.jpg 1000841.jpg 1000825.jpg 1000826.jpg 1000827.jpg _20181205_222629.JPG _20181205_222434.JPG

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well the easiest way to gauge what people are willing to pay for a piece of equipment is to check recently sold on ebay. I think you may have better luck parting it out if you can sell a lens or two separately. Lets say you can sell the whole bundle for 250, well you could probably sell two lenses for 60 bucks each and then bundle the other two with the camera and flash and still get maybe 200. I say this because there is some heavy overlap of the 3 shorter zooms in MM ranges. The flash is a very early model and could be picked up pretty cheap as well so i definitely would bundle that with the camera. Do some research for exact going rates for each item as I am ballparking a bit here
    You could surely list here and sell what you can. If you part out camera forums like this or auction sites like ebay are good bets. The bundle you may want to list locally on classifieds like Craigslist.

Hope that helps get you started.

My advice, offer to buy it from him, start shooting and stick around the forum a while, you may just find a new passion :)

3. Damien Jenkins

Damien Jenkins New Member

Equipment:
    Canon eos 450d
    Hi Johnsey
    Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the places you mentioned.

Damien

4. Amy Walters

Amy Walters Member

Equipment:
    Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM, Canon 100mm L IS Macro, Canon EF 16- 35mm f/1.4, Canon 28-70mm f/2.8 USM L, Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, Yongnuo wireless trigger system, Amazon basic speedlites, Elinchrom D lite1 , various softboxes, Canon support ring for Macro lens, all lens covers etc, etc
    Try MPB as well, they are very good for buying and exchanging kit. Also they will assess the condition of your goods to let you know of any problems eg damage to a sensor etc. But I agree with Johnsey, buy it yourself for a bulk amount you agree on (do some research on MPB, B&H, eBay etc for the prices of these items -used not new obviously- to come up with a price) and get snapping! Warning: photography is very addictive but this is a good chance to get some decent kit for a reasonable price and I'm sure your friend would be glad to 'keep it in the family!'. Johnsey's price estimates seem about right to me but he is a lot more experienced.

P.S I'm pretty sure you would find the 450D,which looks in good condition, (although you never know whats going on inside hence maybe worth getting assessed especially if you decide to sell it) a good beginner camera, my first 'proper' DSLR was a 1300D (known as the Rebel in the States) which I loved and was a fab start to my more serious photography)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019