Printing images

Discussion in 'Post Processing, Printing, and Scanning' started by Chris Rudrum, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Chris Rudrum

Chris Rudrum New Member

Equipment:
    EOS D 1300
    Hi Everyone, Can anyone tell me why my print colours are coming out darker than the image colours actually appear on screen and on my Camera EOS 1300d? I'm desperate to know how to fix this. I use wi fi. Canon printer Ts5000 series. I'm at college on a photographic course.
    Many Thanks
    Chris.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi Chris, the simple answer is your camera screen, computer screen and print are all calibrated differently. You can spend money trying to correct this, and it is a common problem people face. In fact a good printing facility if you do mail order will go to steps to ensure you are both on the same page.

The short answers for you:
    Camera: only use that as a general idea of the image, be more concerned with histogram and if you have blown highlights.
    Computer: Calibrate the monitor, this can be done with tools like X-Rite. I use light-room and Photoshop and stick to adobe profiles for the file itself, as it comes in handy when printing.
    Printer: Make sure you have the correct printer drivers installed. Make sure you add paper profiles when available for what ever paper you are using and make sure to select the color profile for the image and the paper profiles in the printing area of your program as they will control how much ink is used. Simply put, a matte will take more ink than a gloss.

3. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

As Johnsey has said, this is a problem we all face mainly because your monitor is backlit and your print is reflecting the image to your eyes from the ambient light and will normally appear darker.
    I suggest that you watch this video:
    The presenter is using Lightroom but Photoshop also does soft proofing.
    I hope that helps.