Pro-1000 problem

Discussion in 'Post Processing, Printing, and Scanning' started by VincentB, Jan 20, 2021.

1. VincentB

VincentB New Member

Equipment:
    5d3,5d2, pro-1000
    I have a Canon pro-1000 printer that in the past has had a stuck cartridge. The only way for me to get it out was to pull it out gently using two bent wires either side of it. On putting a new one back in there wasn’t the customary click as there is supposed to be and so I am assuming that when I need to change it again, I’ll have to go through the same procedure. This has now happened again with another cartridge (different colour).

On doing a google search on this problem it seems that many others have had the same issue with this printer, with several of their cartridges becoming stuck.

I have had it for a just over four years, but it has had very little use. I now need to buy another set of inks but am very reluctant to spend £450+ if the machine is going to become unusable!

I wondered if anyone here has experienced the same?

Thanks.

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I completely understand the concern, with investing so much money in ink. I like the idea of having a nice photo printer for occasional prints and for proofing if need be. ( I have a Pixma Pro 100)

Question...Do you really need to refill all the inks? That seems odd they would be all out at the same time. Even if you do, a different printer would cost at least as much as the inks, so it is rather a no win situation either way.
    • If I put myself in the shoes you describe, if i only had a couple inks to replace I probably would just do that.
    • If I had all of the inks almost empty I would probably spend a bit of time playing with removing them and inserting each cartridge to see gauge how comfortable I was with the problem ones.... is it the cartridge that sticks or the holder? ... how comfortable am I that the holder for the ink doesn't break? That is probably how I would determine sticking with that model or changing printers.
    In any event, it sounds like you have low mileage usage, have you explored online professional printing options? If you introduce that option and use your printer for just proofing you can really extend the life of the printer and ink.

3. VincentB

VincentB New Member

Equipment:
    5d3,5d2, pro-1000
    Thanks for the input. I have 8/9 that will need changing, perhaps not at the same time but fairly soon, and I need to have them at hand as necessary. I have an exhibition coming up so it will be getting a lot of use and I need it to be reliable. While I can do a workaround and get the cartridges in and out the way I described it is not ideal and really shouldn't be happening on a printer like this with such little use. Others have reported that this does seem to be an issue with the pro-1000 and some have been lucky enough to have it replaced.
    It is definitely the holder and not the cartridge and the problem has been identified as an issue with an internal spring. My biggest concern is that if one becomes so stuck it won't come out then I'm a printer down, along with all the costs of the ink! It's a great printer though, but not that economical if you don't use it regularly.

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Have you reached out to canon and let them know that you are cycling through only a 1st or second round of of replacement cartridges and have multiple issues with the holder in the few short years you have had it? It seems that they should support a known flaw in the design especially if they have acknowledged it with a replacement part internally. If that is they case I would be very direct but cordial with them when calling support. This is a big long term purchase and they know it, you could have easily gone with the comparable options from the competition.
    Worth having the conversation so your not in the middle of printing for your exhibition when it breaks. All good points to voice to them.

5. VincentB

VincentB New Member

Equipment:
    5d3,5d2, pro-1000
    I have recently explained the situation to them and am waiting for a reply. Everything is a little slower in these pandemic times, but I'll report back on the outcome - thanks.