Problem with auto focus on EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by canonr, Oct 10, 2018.

1. canonr

canonr New Member

I have a Canon 1000D (Rebel/Kiss) which came with an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. The set is about 8 years old now.

Lately the auto focus has been playing up. After one shot, it stops working. When I attempt a second shot, no red auto focus dots appear and there is no beep. The green focus lock light appears in the viewfinder, but the shutter will not fire. If I switch to manual focus, wind the focus dial all the way out, then switch to auto focus again, I can take another shot with auto focus before it stops working again.

I've tried resetting the camera and cleaning the contacts on the camera and lens. When I put a friend's lens on my camera, auto focus works properly. I've also opened up the lens, pulled out all the electric wire ribbons and reinserted them, to no avail.

Any ideas?

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Sounds like the issue is in the lens if other lenses work fine. Cleaning the contacts is about all i can suggest, you went farther than I would have by taking the lens apart. The lens isn't that expensive you can replace used for under 100, or get the newer II version for $200 new. Having the lens serviced likely wont be cost effective at those price ranges. I would say its a good opportunity to invest in a nicer lens, but your shooting a 8 year old rebel so I'm guessing upgrading isn't really something your looking at.

3. canonr

canonr New Member

thanks for the reply.