Problem with the Powershot SX70 HS

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by John Guy, Dec 20, 2018.

1. John Guy

John Guy New Member

Equipment:
    Cannon PowerShot SX70 HS
    Hi All

My wife and I brought a Cannon Powershot SX70 HS each and have found that when on auto the resulting pictures are not focused, we have tried indoor and outdoor shots to no avail. My wife's Cannon Powershot G7X compact camera has no such problem, we have tried comparing the two by taking the same picture on each camera. The only difference between the resulting pictures (apart from the lack of focus on the SX70) is the DPI, the cannon G7X has 160 and the SX70 only 72. Is there a way to increase the DPI on the SX70 as we cannot find anything in the settings or manual about it and feel it may be causing the difference in picture quality.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Could you post the examples? Also when you half press he shutter is the camera not doing its focusing, or does it do that and still show soft?

As far as DPI, the camera doesnt have a DPI. When you have any image the DPI of the image will correlate to a size when printed.
    For example a 6Megapixel image (2000x3000 pixels) will at 300DPI print roughly 7x10 inches. At 150DPI it will be 13x20inches and will look a bit soft. This is not changing the actual pixels (size) but telling the software how many pixels to print in an inch. Viewing at 72dpi will look soft.