Problems with connecting external flash

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by Cristiana Silva, May 24, 2021.

1. Cristiana Silva

Cristiana Silva New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1200D
    Hey guys, I bought Yongnuo Flash YN 560 IV but I can't connect to my Canon 1200D, it says "menu not available flash is off or unsupported", anyone can help or went through the same issue? Thank you for the attention

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    This is a manual flash so it would great on a budget where you dial in manually or if you want to use a master slave setup with radio. If you want TTL and full control you need a flash designed specifically for canon compatibility.

https://radojuva.com/en/2018/10/yongnuo-speedlite-yn560-iv/#commentform
    https://radojuva.com/en/2018/10/yongnuo-speedlite-yn560-iv/#dif

Cristiana Silva likes this.
  3. Cristiana Silva

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1200D
    Hi!
    I set it on manual mode but when when I go into the menu settings, the camera recognizes that there is an external flash attached (when I select 'build in flash func. setting') but if I go to 'External flash func. setting' it says "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off." The option is already enabled.

4. johnsey

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The built in flash menu is referring to using the pop up flash.

The menu you are referring to allows you to dial in settings on the flash from the camera, you would need a canon specific designed flash to do so. You have a single pin manual flash which means all settings need be dialed into the flash. The camera will recognize the flash but it will only trip the flash based on the shutter being fired. Every company has a different set of connections that allow smarter flash operation meaning that dialing in on camera or using TTL can only be designed for one brand camera body. Yongnuo makes flashes and triggers that work with these options but you need to get canon or nikon specific versions for them.

The flash you have as a "manual" flash it only has a center pin and does not support those menus. You will need to shoot in manual and dial in camera settings on camera and flash settings on the flash.

https://photo.stackexchange.com/que...he-hot-shoe-pins-on-canon-cameras-and-flashes

Cristiana Silva likes this.
  5. Cristiana Silva

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 1200D
    So the only thing I have to do is set the settings on the actual flash and when I click the shutter it will activate on its own (flash)? Seriously thank you for replying to me, you're helping so much!

6. johnsey

Equipment:
    I think you'll have to shoot in manual on the camera too, that is my understanding.

I have not used another brand manual flash so I have not tested it myself. Even if if you can use a mode other than manual and it fires the flash, the flash will do what you tell it, but the camera will expose in a semi auto modes based on available light, the flash light will not be factored into the equation since there is not TTL available.