Pros and Cons of using vintage lenses on 1300D

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by tallguyowc, Nov 9, 2020.

1. tallguyowc

tallguyowc New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 1300D with 18-55mm Kit lens
    50MM 1.8
    Looking to buy vintage lenses
    Hi, tallguyowc here, I'm kind of new to all this.
    I have a 1300D (aka Rebel T6) which I have had for a number of years, and has served me well. Hoping to get another few years use out of it to see me out of my student days, before I entend to upgrade to a full frame camera.

I class myself as an amateur photographer and by no means a pro. I think using vintage lenses will help me improve my knowledge and understanding of how to composition a photo properly... rather tham relying on the camera to work it out for me.

I’m not looking for the ‘perfect lens’, it’s mostly ‘for the fun of it’. Obvisiously going to more budget friendly because of the lack of autofocus, pefect for an enthusiast like myslef. Ideally I would like a wide angle prime and a long range telephoto. Is anyone familar with using a vintage lens and adapter on a Canon body with a 1.6 crop factor, how will this affect my photos? Any lens recommendations to get me started, open to any suggestions, at the moment I'm currently looking at Takumars, a Tamron Adaptal 2 80 -210 and various FD lens. Help would much appreciated.

P.s how do I find out the shutter count of my camera, and I should I have it professionally inspected to prolong the life of it.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i have just started using vintage lenses on my M50, watch out its another rabbit hole!!!, they are a great option for modern cameras, i got a super takumar 55mm ƒ1.8 for £20..............a fast prime for stupidly low cost and its a very sharp lens.
    the mistake i made last time out with the tak was i also took out my 55-200mm kit lens, soon as i saw my first song bird i was like 'nope need reach, need af. and switched lenses.
    next time i go out i won't take any 'just in case' lenses.
    i think the hardest thing to learn in photography is learning to let shots go. someone needs to come up with one of those old style revolver mounts for a modern camera so you can have three lenses mounted ready to switch.
    the way i'm looking to go with vintage lenses is to find the 'art' lenses, the ones that have unique character, ones with flaws that just wouldn't make it out the factory these days.
    being easy to take apart they also lend themselves to some interesting mods for special effects.
    Other than character lenses the other vintage lens group i'm looking at are fast (sub 2.8) primes as i have all the focal lengths covered on modern stuff apart from the 150-600 sigma

i got unlucky with my very first try at vintage lenses, the lens i got had a missing element so i had to wait for another lens to find out weither this stuff was going to work, it does.
    fortunately the guy sold me the first lens had the elements available to complete it and that too works.
    if you get a M42 mount there are two types one with a flange and one without, the flange is for making contact with a cold pin (non electrical) at the back so the aperture blades can be operated on those that need it.
    the super tak mentioned and my ziess flecktogon both use the rear pin thing.

oh and welcome to the forum :)

3. porkphoto

porkphoto Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Cameras 1DmkIII, 1DSmkII, 50d, 7d, 6d, 70d, 5Ds ,90D , R7, R5
    Lens 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f4L IS, 100 f2.8L IS macro, 200 f2.8L, 300 f4L IS, 300 f2.8L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 500mm f4L IS
    Welcome to the forum.