Question ef ef-m MFT

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by iulian calin, Aug 5, 2021.

1. iulian calin

iulian calin New Member

Hi,
    I couldn't find any information on this , so I'm asking you.
    I know there's a difference between canon ef and ef-m mount, but I'm not sure what difference is in between those 2 and MFT. I just saw a lens form Samyang that uses MFT mount. I am very interested in buying this lens but i really don't know if and what adapter will i need for it to be mounted on the ef/ef-s. Can the MFT actually be mounted on an ef camera (550d)?
    The lens I'm looking at is the Samyang 20mm f1.8 . I don't really care about electronic in the lens to work with the camera since it will be static and it will me on manual focus anyways.
    So , any ideas?

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    Which camera do you have?
    of the ones you mention, Canon uses EF and efm, the efm belongs to the M line of canon cameras, like the M50 M6 etc which are crop sensor cameras, the EF is canons full frame group of cameras
    MFT is micro four thirds these are not used by canon cameras, this is also the smallest sensor size
    if you have an efm mount you can mount ef lenses on it with an adapter,
    i would suggest you also look at sensor sizes on youtube

a lens designed for a MFT lens will only use part of the sensor if used on a crop or ff camera.

fully manual lenses work well on My M50 with the right adapter or without if they have the efm mount
    you will need to go into the settings and turn on "fire without lens attached" so the camera will not be waiting for feed back from an electrical connection thats not there.

so depending on what camera mount you have you looking for an ef or efm lens, you can adapt other makes and vintages with specific adapters too, but make sure you understand why sensor size is important too

is this the one you are looking at?

3. iulian calin

iulian calin New Member

Well ef is not only full frame. My 550d is not full frame and has ef/ef-s.
    I was just curious where the MFT will fit. But since is smaller then ef-m, that kinda sucks, cause i was interested in putting the lens with MFT on ef mount.
    Well i got my answer, so thank you.