Questions Sigma 18-35/1.8 DC HSM Art

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Caladina, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    Been looking to add an ef wide angle lens to my arsenal, i have seen some youtube reviews on it, sounds good.
    would this be a good option for taking pics of trees from 10-50 meters away? anyone have this lens with thoughts on it?

any other contenders worth mentioning?
    i have 100-400 so i'm looking to for something in the sub 20mm
    It is for my eos m50, ef mount preferred

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Yes, I have one. I have owned it for three years plus, and I love it. Mine is in Pentax K mount and it rarely comes off my K3. I own a lot of lenses, and this one is pretty well at top of my list of preferred lenses. Some people will not like this lens as it doesn't have a camera manufacturers name printed on it.

I will try to give you my opinion on the lens.

So lets start with the negatives.

I have read that the auto focus is a little hit and miss, so on my K3 (a dslr) I use the camera in live view with focus peaking. I have never used it with auto focus through the viewfinder. It's just the way that I have used it.
    The lens is big and heavy.
    The lens has a limited zoom range. On a Pentax crop camera which is a 1.5 crop factor, you get a 27-52 or there abouts.

And that is about all the negatives for me.

The positives.

The lens is really well built. I am not so sure of Sigma lenses of old. They pretty well upped their build quality a few years back. My lens survived a 16 000 km bouncing around in the back of a 4wd trip around part of Australia. Parts of it were on pretty rough corrugated roads. I have no concerns about attaching my square filter holder to the front of the lens either.

The lens is sharp. Even wide open the lens is sharp. Have a look at the reviews on the Lenstip web site.

The lens is fast, and it is a constant f1.8 through the zoom range.

Optically it is very good. It is like a small bag of primes in one lens.

For me and my style, I love the lens. I don't use it on moving subjects. I like using it on low light subjects. I just wish that I could find a full frame equivalent.

Here are a few images from the lens.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And trees, well I don't go out of my way to shot trees. But this is about the closest I get to shooting trees.

4.jpg

Would I buy this lens if I never owned it? Yes, in a heart beat.

I hope it helps.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  3. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Thanks for your review, Gary. That looks like a really nice lens. I have a couple of recent Sigma lenses and their build quality is hard to beat nowadays. I had never seriously considered this lens but I have been looking at other reviews and LBA might be kicking in again.
    If I find one at the right price I could be tempted. Having f1.8 through the whole zoom range is enticing.
    Here we go again. :D

GDN likes this.
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

If you get the chance Ray, buy one. You won't regret it. I just wish there was a full frame equivalent. The Sigma 24-35 f2.0, or a handful of primes is my only option. It's really impressive the detail that you can pull out of the images from this lens, and for a zoom lens as well. It also shows some prime lenses a thing or two as well.

Gary

rayallen likes this.
  5. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    thanks Ray for the thoughts and samples, and sorry Gnd for the carrot!!
    certainly sounds like the lens for me,
    my go to lens reviewer on youtube is Christopher Frost Photography hi gives standardized reviews if anyone not seen his ones.

GDN likes this.
  6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have seen Chris's review of this lens on youtube. He pretty well hits the mark. I really don't think that you can go wrong with this lens on an aps-c camera. If you have an inner geek, Lenstip and Optical Limits do technical reviews on this lens.

Gary

7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Now you know that you are never going to be happy until you try this lens Ray. F1.8 and it is sharp. Blurry backgrounds, wide open you can use a lower ISO so less noise.

Is my LBA working on you?

Just one more lens.........;)

Gary

8. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

You aren't making it any easier, are you? My heart says yes, but my head says no. I know that it is an EF mount but it is designed for APS-C and I am really only interested in FF lenses and I already have the EF 17-40L which is f4 and, of course, f1.8 does appeal but I've got that FL range covered. I'm just looking at this stage and there aren't many around in my price range.

9. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    My sigma 18-35 1.8 came today.
    Hand Held 3m indoor test:
    so far my side to side test against the canon 15-45mm has not really been the step up i was expecting,
    i've taken a few pics around the house and outside with the sigma just to get used to it,
    The only real side by side purposeful test i've done atm is on a black leather bag with white stitching in a moderately dark corner of the room.
    the main reason the sigma doesn't pull ahead of the canon kit on this test is the lack of image stabilization in the lens, the M50 body doesnt have it but the kit lens does.
    after an hour or so trying to get the best clarity from the bag stitching and metal zip i would have to say the kit lens wins.
    sigma best single image stats :
    aperture 2.2
    shutter 1/20
    iso 640

sigma best continuous image stats :
    aperture 1.8
    shutter 1/50
    iso 1000

canon kit stats :
    aperture 5.6
    shutter 1/4
    iso 800

the sharpest image was the sigma at 1/20 but it took a lot of shots to get that rock steady hand held,
    the sharpest canon image was at 1/4 which was easy to repeat and was pretty close.
    the best repeatable from the sigma was not as good as i could get the canon.
    testing the two lenses resting on the table allowed a longer shutter time from both negating the stabilization problem with the sigma
    considering how good the 100-400 c is with is it would be a great addition to the 18-35.
    Iwill cntinue to test the lens side by side with the kit see how it goes

10. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

Keep us up to date with how you go with lens. As I have said I use manual focus with this lens in live view with focus peaking.

Gary

11. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    So you purposely took photos below 1/60 of a second to compare a IS and non-IS lens? Shooting that slow will show handheld shake regardless, unless you have IS. So your test proves what IS is designed to do, give you a few extra stops below ideal shooting speed for the lens.

The art lens is an optically superior lens but try to do something with it that it is not designed for will not yield good results. Its like buying a sports car and complaining you are having trouble in 6 inches of snow, its a great machine but put in the wrong situation.

If you are hand holding you should follow the reciprocal rule without IS. So if you have a 100mm lens shoot 1/100 or faster shutter. If you have a 70-200, the shoot 1/200 or faster; this will counteract the hand movement due to weight. You may be able to hand hold down to 1/30th with ok results if you pin your arms on a table but anything down this slow you should be using a tripod without stabilization.

Well that or introducing more light though opening the lens, adding a strobe, or increasing the ISO for more light sensitivity.

rayallen likes this.
  12. Caladina

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    yep very well explained, thanks