Quick advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by JPM, Feb 4, 2020.

1. JPM

JPM New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 800D
    Hello members, I'm just looking for some quick advice if you'd be so kind.

I was out photographing last Saturday using my 800D and a tripod and conditions were dry but extremely windy.

I was photographing a large coastal waterfall from an adjacent headland using a slightly slow shutter speed but seeing as I don't have an ND filter(yet) I was waiting for the passing clouds to block the low, bright sun and give me better conditions.

All of a sudden, a nice dark cloud blocked the sun and I had much better conditions for some photographs but time was limited with the speed of the passing clouds and I got a little flustered.

Holding the tripod steady with my left hand and holding the right hand side of the camera I decided to rotate the camera onto a side position and after applying some reasonably stiffish pressure I heard a tight creaking sound(or two) coming from the plastic hinge of the tripod whereupon I realised that I'd forgotten to slacken the little securing screw first.

The camera seems fine with nothing obvious amiss but unfortunately I do have genuine mild OCD and wanted to ask if there's any way this little fopaux might have damaged the camera or if I'm being oversensitive.

For the record, I'm not a big built person so it's not a case of body builder's strength!.

Thanks in advance and apologies for a somewhat "silly" question.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I am guessing you had the camera on a tripod head of some sort.

Do you mean that you rotated the camera on top of the mounting plate? Essentially tightening the quick release plate to the camera enough to stress the plastic on the bottom of the camera? If you didn't crack the plastic your fine, even if you did crack it my only concern would be that a crack would allow dust or moisture in the camera which could take its toll on the electronics.

If you meant that you cranks the tripod head itself enough that the head rotating mechanism started making noise then the only concern there would be stripping the mechanism if the tripod head is plastic and on the cheaper side.

From what you described I am guessing the first one was the situation, and it sounds like you should be fine.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

I would have a look around the threaded tripod area on the bottom of your camera looking for any sign of cracking. I would also have a look over your tripod as well. So long as you were not over enthusiastic with changing from landscape to portrait format, all should good with your equipment. Mark it up to experience, and learn from it.

One thing that I find is that when I am waiting for the light to change, is to double check everything. Check your composure, focus, exposure, etc, and once you are happy with everything just sit back, relax, and wait for the light. Enjoy the moment. Also, if you are going out to get a particular sort of image, do a basic set up of your camera settings before you leave your home.

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all get it wrong from time to time.

Gary

4. JPM

JPM New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 800D
    Hi, thanks very much for your kind replies :)

Yes, Johnsey, that's exactly it. I was worried about the pressure I'd exerted between the camera and the quick release plate and if it's possible to bend the tripod hole on the camera or cause some twisting damage to the camera itself.

I heard no sudden cracks from the camera and thankfully there's no sign of any visible cracks on the base at all.

I suspect more exertion would have been needed to actually break something but I'm just not sure how sturdy these cameras are!.

It's a very basic, old tripod I found at the local recycle centre!. I bought a nice new one yesterday for going out next time.

I never over-tighten anything though just to be safe and I'm 99% sure that the sound I heard twice was from the plastic hinge for the quick release plate because when I slackened it the camera rotated fine.(I tried to rotate the camera in two quickish successions and heard the creaking/tightening sound twice).

Here's hoping it was just a learning experience......

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020