R5

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Paul Saunders, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Paul Saunders

Paul Saunders New Member

Equipment:
    R5
    I have recently taken some portraits of a friend on my R5 using basic studio lights.
    The settings I used were F10 100 iso and a shutter speed of 100th of a second.
    All in manual mode.
    The result was I could barely see the friend through the viewfinder because all of the settings were active, on my old camera a 5d mk 3 I believe the settings would have activated when I pressed the shutter giving me a clear view through the viewfinder.
    Is there a way I can do this on my R5?
    Thanks,
    Paul Saunders

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Paul. There is two member who may be of use to you in this.
    They are Caladina, who is well versed in this style of camera and Johnsey the site moderater. who has a very good knowledge in the more proffessional aspects of photography.

3. Paul Saunders

Paul Saunders New Member

Equipment:
    R5
    Thanks for your reply, Craig, will they see this question, if not how do I contact them?

4. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    go to members area and personal mail them if you have not got a reply in a day or so. chances are Johnsey will see this .

5. Paul Saunders

Paul Saunders New Member

Equipment:
    R5
    Hi Craig, I have Johnsey on the members page but I can't see an option to message him.

6. Paul Saunders

Paul Saunders New Member

Equipment:
    R5
    Hi Craig,
    I have now solved the issue myself. The menus have an item called Exposure Simulation which was enabled, disabled it solves my problem. Thanks, again.

7. Craig Sherriff

Equipment:

8. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I assuming the studio lights are triggered?

I haven't read the manual for the R5, I don't have one of these new mirrorless. But based on the details above and the menu option you described this is expected. Using f10 at 1/100sec at ISO 100, indoors would be very very dark without the flash of the lighting going off. That shutter, iSO and aperture will kill all ambient light indoors.

You would need direct sunlight for similar settings with no flash of the studio lighting, the camera can't simulate the flash so it shows what the image will look like with just camera settings. You may have times when you want to enable this, studio lighting is not one. Remember that mirrorless means you have no optical path so there is simply an LCD in the viewfinder providing you with an image of what your pointing the camera at.