RAW vs cRAW

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Emurccmw, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Emurccmw

Emurccmw New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 90D, Canon EFS 18-55mm, Tamron 18-400mm Di II VC HLD
    Just wondering what you guys think about these two and which do you use personally. I am still trying to figure out the difference between the two and how much info you lose, if any, with cRAW compared to RAW. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time!!!

2. Arnab

Arnab New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS M200, Canon EF-M 15-45mm, Canon EF-S 55-250mm (with a converter)
    I have very limited knowledge as I am a learner as well, However As per my knowledge both are same except the file size in very less in caseof cRAW. So you can probably storemore cRAW in your drive.

Emurccmw likes this.
  3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    cRAW stands for compressed RAW, and being a compression format like JPG it uses a loosy compression format. You may notice some minor differences in shadow or highlight detail, the digital noise does seem to render a bit differently in examples I have seen online where it has been tested.

Should you use it? If you want or need the extra space on you cards or HD, it may be worth the minor impact, you'll have to test and see what you think.

Emurccmw likes this.