Recommendation for split focus screen 50d

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Michael T Hall, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Michael T Hall

Michael T Hall New Member

Equipment:
    Nothing at the moment but want to get started in the DSLR world. Used to have a Nikon F series back in the day of film cameras.
    I'm trying to find a really bright split screen for manual focus with the 50d. All ideas are appreciated

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I have no recommendations, but I would have a rummage around ebay and find something from there.

Gary

Michael T Hall likes this.
  3. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I know they make different focusing screen, but I am willing to bet only a small percentage have tried. You tube is probably your best bet for someone reviewing them. Auto focus is usually great, and when you need precise focus the common method is live view to hone in manual focus. Also keep in mind if you switch in/out a focus screen you will be introducing a lot of dust inside your camera and will likely have to clean the sensor afterwards.

4. Michael T Hall

Michael T Hall New Member

Equipment:
    Nothing at the moment but want to get started in the DSLR world. Used to have a Nikon F series back in the day of film cameras.
    Thanks very much. I didn't think of that. Excellent advice.

5. Ray-UK

Ray-UK Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon 7D Mk II, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-105 L Mk 1, Canon 24mm 2.8, Canon 55-250 STM, Canon 100mm usm macro, 3x Metz 58 AF1 & too many film cameras, mainly Pentax
    I tried a couple of split screens when I had a 50D and found them unsatisfactory. All the split screens available are actually cut down screens from film SLRs consequently the central split part is very large when used in a APSC crop camera. They work as focus screens but do upset the camera metering and usually need tiny shims added to get them sitting at the right height to get correct focus.
    I eventually gave up with them and bought the canon ef-s screen which has a finer texture and makes manual focusing much easier.