RF 70-200 2.8 Zoom Smoothness

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by One10Photo, Dec 29, 2021.

1. One10Photo

One10Photo New Member

Hi,

I have a new RF 70-200 2.8 and it zooms smoothly from 70 to about 150. From 150-200 its gets a little rough. Not horrible, but definitely not as smooth as my other lenses.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it ok?

Thank you very much!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    The barrel extends on the RF version right? Its not unheard of to have some stiffness in the barrel as it extends, but I normally expect this out of cheaper lenses. Is it stiffness or is it a bit uneven in consitency? I ask because you used the word "rough".

Conversely the 70-200 EF L zooms all zoom really smooth to the best of my knowledge ( I won 1 version have used a few others), but they don't have extending barrels. In a quick search: It seems at least some people have mentioned stiffness on other forums, but that doesn't seem to be extremely common based on posting volume.

I would probably see if you can try swapping for a different copy if you got it local, especially if the zoom isn't steady/even; I cant imagine something out of alignment from the factory though. It would be helpful for you to feel another copy and see how it performs so you can say how far off normal it really is. If all else fails I guess you could call customer service number and explain the issue, if somethings wrong they should service it under the 1 year warranty.