Rubber ring on lens Sticky!

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Kevin Durban-Jackson, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Kevin Durban-Jackson

Kevin Durban-Jackson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5
    Canon Zoom EF lens 28-105mm
    Could anyone advise how to remove the stickiness of my Canon EF Zoom lens. I’ve noticed over time that the rubber breaks down and gets very sticky. Maybe I can stabilise with oil?
    Is this a common problem. The lens has been stored safely in my camera bag but not used for about 2 years
    Thanks and regards
    Kevin

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i dont know the answer and would love one on this too as i have got two pairs of binoculars with the same problem, they been in there box for a good10 years and the rubbers on those have gone very sticky to the point they leave black marks on your hands, not great.

3. Robert Shears

Robert Shears Active Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Pentax K-5, K-r, K20D, K100D Super.
    Canon G5, Canon 450D, Eos 100, 500, 600, T70 and T90
    Konica Minolta 7D
    Various OEM and 3rd party lenses in Pentax, Minolta and Canon.
    Sigma lenses with "ZEN" coating have a similar problem. Looking on line there are various suggestions but basically it boils down to rubbing the sticky coating off with an alcohol based cleaning solution.
    I tried this on a Sigma 600mm mirror lens and an old HP digital camera, it took a lot of rubbing to get it off and may not prevent it from re-occurring.

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Kevin, I had a similar problem with a Sigma 35 - 135mm zoom lens it had a complete rubber covering over the entire lens and when you handled it your hand would come away black.
    My solution was to use Metholated spirits, another thing to try would be lighter fluid.
    Use caution due to the flammability of the fluid and you don't know ho the rubber or rubberized plastic will react to the fluid.
    Pour a small amount on a cloth,I used a old bit of towel and dab it on a small area.
    See how it reacts and if it cleans .
    When you are happy with the results and have clean it properly I then squirted dish washing liquid on the cleaned area and wiped this off with a damp rag.
    This got rid of the Metholated spirit smell and stopped any degradation of the part after I finished cleaning it.
    My lens looks like there was never a problem with it.
    All the best with it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  5. Kevin Durban-Jackson

Kevin Durban-Jackson New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5
    Canon Zoom EF lens 28-105mm
    Thanks
    Thanks Craig that shifts the trick. Cleaned up with alcohol on a cotton bud and all the black goo came off. Good as new now
    Thanks Kevin

Paul F likes this.