Rumors of EOS 7D Mark III being replaced by 90D and APS-C EOS R mirror-less

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by johnsey, Jun 19, 2019.

1. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Its been mentioned around online on and off this spring that rumors have been ciculating that the 7d line will be killed off in favor of focusing on the 90d and an APS-C Eos R. Should the rumors be true, I though I would see what people here think and how it may affect their future camera purchases. Good time to go FF? Go mirror-less?

Attached Files:

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff

If the rumors are true, well it sort of throws a spanner in the works for me.

I have two aps-c cameras. A Pentax K3, and a Canon 7D. I prefer the output of the K3, and how it feels in the hand. I have a 18-35, and 70-200 that I am really happy with. There are two things I dislike with the K3. Firstly the auto focus on things that move, and secondly the choice of lenses.

So I brought a used 7D to overcome these shortfalls. I grabbed a couple of L lenses, a 70-200 f4.0, and 400 f5.6. So I am happy with this arrangement. So if it moves, Canon, and if it doesn't, Pentax is the camera of choice.

Now I am not in the market for a new camera. Nor am I really unhappy with my 7D. But I would like a little better images from my Canon. So I have done the usual thing of comparing the 7D to the 7D mk ii. Yes the mk ii is better, but not enough for me to trade in my 7D. So my cunning plan was to wait for the mk iii to come out, read a few reviews, and then raid the piggy bank if it looked good. I have seen "leaked" specks of the mk iii, and yes it looks good. I love the speed of the 7D when required, and the auto focus.

If the 7D line is to finish. I am not sure which direction that I will go next. I like the look and size of mirrorless, but what is the auto focus like? One of the main reasons I brought into Canon. I do astro photography, and long exposures with my K3. So I like a dslr for things like good battery life. But I like the ability to see a histogram in the viewfinder.

So full frame has a very real appeal, a K1 or a 5D mk iv? The 5D mk iv is not as fast as the 7D I am guessing.

I will just sit and wait and see what comes out. I have also read that Canon is halting it's development of EF lenses, and will concentrate on R mount lenses. But this is a rumor as far as I know. Throw that into the mix as well. Mind you, I do like some of the new R mount lenses.

Does anyone have the answer?

Gary

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Gary, a new camera sounds nice if you can afford one but have you thought of upgrading to a better lens instead, unlike cameras lenses tend to hold their value more.

4. Kamchoig

Kamchoig New Member

Equipment:
    Digital camera
    i had heard rumors of a canon 6D being released but seems like this must not be the case. have to wait until next march at pma.

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Would the 6D range not be replaced by the EOS RP line? From the general vibe on the internet, it looks as if a few models will go mirrorless instead of the next mark of dslr.

Gary