SD Card

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by JPM, Dec 27, 2019.

1. JPM

JPM New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 800D
    Hello all, this is my first post and I'm looking for a little help.

A few months ago I upgraded from a Canon 700D and bought a new Canon 800D which I'll admit I'm still finding my way around.

However, I'm wondering if I've bought the best SD card for it which is a Delkin Devices 32 GB V30 UHS 1.

I photograph a mixture of landscapes, scenery and nature(Killer Whales) along with a little filming.

I wouldn't say I'm under-impressed with the results but am wondering if better could be achieved.

Could anyone suggest a better or the best SD for my 800D?.

Many thanks for your help.

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    JPM, welcome to the forum, you say you are under impressed with your results.
    You have not said what the actual issues are, what lenses and what setting you are using.
    You are saying that the 32gb card may be at fault. I don't think this would be the issue. The SD card is for recording the images and film.
    I use 32GB, 16GB and the occasional 4 GB SD. These are cheap Maxwell brand purchased at my local grocery store, never had a issue with them.
    The only time I have seen a problem is when one of my students put his card into a photography store to have the photos printed out and a problem developed in the process. someone had use a SD card with a virus on it and it transferred to his card. Formatting the card in his camera solved this problem, if you have not done this I suggest you also do this prior to using you card in your camera, all the best with it, Craig S.

3. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

What problem are you actually experiencing? Could you give us a few more details.

Gary

4. JPM

JPM New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 800D
    Hi, thanks for your replies.

I think what I'm struggling most with it the film/video feature.

I've tried various settings(higher shutter speed) but most seem to be either poor(ish) quality or that jumpy pixelated look.

This is a short film I took a couple of weeks ago and if you look at my channel you'll see one or two more.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much from the video function?.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well if you are shooting in an auto mode of some sort with a higher shutter to counter act the wind and a smaller aperture for more depth of field, you are likely getting a high ISO with would introduce some noise. I also noticed it seems to rack into focus on these video close to the end of the 20 sec clips. I would disable the focus tracking and focus ahead of the filming, by default the camera will try to track focus and that is probably why it is not sharp right away. I really don't shoot video just what seems to be sticking out to me. Also youtube compresses the 1080 compressed file further so that doesn't help end quality either.