Sensor Clean or not?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Thomson737, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Thomson737

Thomson737 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 1300D, 18-55mm, 75-300mm
    Hello,

I recently sent my camera off to have a Sensor Clean with Jessops thinking the clean would eradicate the spots I can see on my images with high aperture. They are still visible after the clean. So I am beginning to wonder what it is? I have two lenses and both show the same outcome.

Attached Files:

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I would expect a sensor clean to be a lot cleaner than that. So you could show them what you are seeing.
    This looks rather under exposed which will make dust extremely noticeable. How do images look when exposed properly and not stopped down to f22? Even a really dirty sensor on my old 20d only showed a speck or two occasionally when used in more general circumstance like a portrait at f5.6.

Have you tried this? https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART136907 By the time the 1300d came out camera manufacturers had implemented software solutions for dust removal.

All this said, if they don't clean it up better, you can always get a blower or brush. I prefer the brush and sensor solution method myself. If you use a new brush after a swipe flip swipe you should pick up most the specs. I used this method well for a couple years on my 20d, its expensive on brushes but not as bad as sending it away. On the flip side my 5Ds have never been sent for clean and I don't go looking for dust so your mileage may vary. :)

3. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    as its a dslr could it be another part of the optical line like the mirror etc?
    or has that been ruled out from image production

4. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Dirt on the mirror won't show on the images as the mirror has to be out of the way to allow light to reach the sensor.

5. Thomson737

Thomson737 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 1300D, 18-55mm, 75-300mm
    The reason for the high aperture is because I wanted to take photos to include the foreground and background equally in focus. Any other setting with a fast shutter speed does not highlight any of these spots.

It's actually Jessops I sent it off to and they are getting back to me why it's not been done properly.

6. rayallen

rayallen Well-Known Member Site Supporter

You were correct to use a small aperture as that will show up dust spots more easily.
    Jessops have certainly not done an adequate job of cleaning your sensor. That is by far the dirtiest sensor I have ever seen.
    It is quite easy to do it your self. Plenty of cleaning kits available on eBay and numerous videos on YouTube on how to do it.
    I have been doing my own for a number of years.

7. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    yep, i was wondering if it was an 'as viewed' picture of the dirt but now i see its an actual image, so yeah not on the mirror
    its crazy to think a big brand shop would send the camera back like that, really bad if it is indeed a returned dirty sensor.
    just remember its not the actual sensor thats being cleaned but the piece of glass thats infront of the sensor.

the sensor itself is probably one of the best protected parts of the camera
    if you cleaning it yourself watch out for the shutter mech, that is the most delicate part of the camera.
    only ever use and squeeze blower, nothing more powerful like canned air, it can blow dirt into the camera or damage the curtain blades