Separate date files.

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Roger Downing, May 16, 2022.

1. Roger Downing

Roger Downing New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 250D
    Photos go into separate date files. How can you get them to go into only one file.

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    do you mean in camera or when they are saved to your computer initially if so which OS etc

3. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Welcome to the forum, Rodger. I am not sure but there is a misc. heading on your memory card, you could try saving there, I have never tried it but this may be a workaround for you. In your camera's menu there should be a section on file saving, have a play with this area.

4. Roger Downing

Roger Downing New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 250D
    Thanks for your response Caladina, I would prefer them as one file on the computer .At the moment I am on Windows10. I can do it manually but it takes quite awhile and I was looking for a quick way.

5. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    i'm on mac os and i'm thinking it would be the destination file where the action is taking place, i'm ok with the separate date files as its easier to find stuff on the original files
    As most photographers do an initial cull when they look at the downloaded files this would be the time to switch them to the single folder, after you done the cull of the dead images you could send all the keepers to a new folder by how ever windows moves individual files on mass, for me there are several way, then the next time you download and do the first cull you do the sae, send the keepers to the same folder as a bunch of individual images and they will all be in the same folder organized how you want, be it by date or tags etc

if i tag my bird images with bird, name of bird where they were etc i can still pull all those up individually regardless of which folders they are in.

i'm pretty bad at bothering to tag images apart from the edited ones so i like to have them in the day folders, i do add tags to each day folder so i can find stuff.

i'm getting ever closer to setting up external storeges so i been waiting to do it all properly,

what would you prefered storage of files be, all dated and in one folder?

6. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I assume you mean folder by date not file by date. All your raw images would go into a day or month folder in camera.
    You can easily use a card reader and drag the files into one big folder computer side.
    Personally I would think its way easier to locate and organize having a folder named after the date and photoshoot/location.
    I cull the images in import and then user lightroom to mange file moves after the folder is imported. I also mange almost all my file tags, collections and edits in LR as well and then I can move older shoots to external storage and still have preview images showing in my catalog file.

7. Roger Downing

Roger Downing New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 250D
    Great, thanks for this most helpful suggestion.