Shutter not working with lens on

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Jana, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Jana

Jana New Member

Equipment:
    Canon D1300
    Hi, I'm a new photographer and have run into an issue with my camera that I have no idea how to solve.
    I have a Canon D1300 and the shutter stopped working all of the sudden while the lens is attached (it's a Canon lens). Af first I thought the shutter was jammed but it works when I take the lens off.
    Any idea what might be causing this? I've reset the camera settings to default but no joy.
    We're going sailing tomorrow and I was looking forward to taking a few photos.
    Thank you!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well the camera does not need the lens attached means that there is no custom setting restricting the firing of the shutter based on it not seeing a lens.

The opposite appears to be true here, the lens is recognized and shutter restricted.
    This tells me the lens seems to be working.
    What else restricts the shutter? Focus.... So silly question, is the lens in MF mode? If your lens will not focus or is not focused you will not be able to fire the shutter button. You need at least one red box to light up and beep either through auto or manual focus.

3. Jana

Jana New Member

Equipment:
    Canon D1300
    Problem solved! The issue was indeed with the AF being "stuck". I found some advice online which suggested taking the lens off, switching to MF, extending and retracting it and to-day, it works like a charm again.