The Canon 40mm 'pancake' lens on a 6D mk1 body.

Discussion in 'Canon Lens Discussion' started by Paul Warner FRPS, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Paul Warner FRPS

Paul Warner FRPS New Member

Equipment:
    Canon 6D/ Fuji XT1/ Lumix GX7/ Leica M4/ Rolleiflex 3.5F
    Hi all. I recently purchased a used 6D body to replace my old Mk1 5D. As I was going away for two weeks in a relatively small motorhome with a premium on space, and wanted to test the camera out, I decided to limit myself to one lens. Ideally I'd have got myself a 35mm, my favourite 'do anything' lens when a Leica M4 system was my carry out favourite. Not liking the cost of Canon's 35mm primes ( I'm an ancient pensioner) I settled on an amazingly reasonably priced 40m Canon 'pancake'.
    Frankly I was knocked out by the quality of this optic. It's not so different in field of view from a 35mm, being similar to the angle of view of normal eyesight and therefore a fine landscape lens. It is also incredibly small and light, and being unobtrusive is ideal as a 'street' lens. In fact it matches in viewing angle the lens I already use on my old Lumix GF1 which I've had converted for infra red, and which has proved to be my favourite do anything lens on that camera. So...it already felt 'normal. In fact, my only immediate grouse was that Canon are apparently too mean to supply a lens hood! Astonishing! So I went into my near 60 year old goody bag, dug out an ancient Olympus collapsible 50mm 'hood, sorted an adapter ring to suit, and off I went.
    All the images shown are handheld, using f5.6, f8, and occasional f11 apertures. In fact more or less any aperture will do on this optic, although if you close right down to the smaller ones you will find noticeable diffraction will eventually set in as it will for any other lens! Sharpness and resolution across the field varies from good to excellent. Relatively mild vignetting is there at the extremes, as is some optical aberration, but it is all easily correctable (I often introduce a level of vignetting almost by default, anyway). All images were processed using the outstanding Affinity Photo, as I got fed up with paying Adobe every month some time ago.
    I have selected images which I hope will allow you the judge them technically rather than aesthetically. I hope they might be useful and am happy to answer questions. Very pleased with the 6D as well, by the way. It's definitely a keeper, and I'm looking forward to using in my studio for the monochrome still-lifes that I still love after all these years.
    P.S...didn,t realise Jpeg file size was such a problem, so I've reduced them all considerably to well below the requested size and will post each individually and separately. Sorry if I've caused a difficulty.

2. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Fist image.

Attached Files:

3. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Hopefully the 2nd set (and final images)

Attached Files:

4. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    I've just tried loading the jPegs again, and failed even though they are smaller than the max. Can anyone help as some of the zip files seem to have become corrupted?

5. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    To problem solve this, can you tell us how you convert your images, post them, and what error messages do you get when you try?

Gary

6. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Hi Gary...message said "the following error occurred: The uploaded image is too big"..I converted the file in Affinity Photo to under 100..probably around 800 or so.....Stormlight for example was 918 Kb

7. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Hi All, a things to note, the size issue is more about dimensions. You are uploading a zip file with a jpg in it so you wont be able to see the images users will have to download them and unzip them, i would recommend not zipping the files. Secondly I noticed that the files are still full pixels 3670x5496, but the quality has been reduced significantly to make the file size smaller (under 1mb). That's causing the digitized look where you should see a nice smooth gradient.
    upload_2018-10-18_14-56-28.png

Take the original file and scale the pixels down to a smaller dimension something close to 1000px on a one of the sides will be plenty large for the web.

I found images over 4000 pixels are problematic for upload. I have had 2000x3000 that are 7mb and upload just fine on here.

8. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Thanks very much Johnsey. I see your point, and will now have to discover how to do that in Affinity Photo, which seems to treat re-sizing in a different way than PS.

9. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Quick web search makes it look like document setup allows rescaling an image
    upload_2018-10-19_13-20-46.png

10. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Well done Johnsey.....I'll follow up on that. Thanks very much.

11. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Lets see if I can load them now. Just a Garden.jpg
    Stormlight.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Paul Warner FRPS

Equipment:
    Whoopee....all but one! ( although they don't look as sharp as the originals) Stairway 1.jpg

Attached Files:

13. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Excellent,

Well done.

Gary