Upgrade advice requested

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Wee Peem, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Wee Peem

Wee Peem New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 400D,
    100mm 2.8 Macro
    kit lens
    50mm 1.8
    Hello,

Currently have an EOS400D which have owned from new since 2008, and it has served me well.
    It got me into digital photos etc and have developed a few new skills over the years.

Now very interested in macro type photography, having watched videos from many youtubers.
    I feel that this best suits me, due to family contraints ( ie not much free time) and also it is done in a more controllable environment.
    I dont have the compositional eye for landscape shots, even though I live in the Lake District. Again this comes back to above issue ( family commitments!)
    Also take a few steam train videos.

Anyways....as my camera is very dated, it is time to upgrade. No video. Focusing is not brilliant are the 2 main downfalls at moment.

I dont feel I can justify the cost of an R6, so was kind of heading towards a 90D.

Am I doing the right thing by sticking with DSLR and non full frame??
    Am not going to be upgrading again for a long time ( as its taken me 13yrs to get this far)

Also considered a 6D mk2 but whilst this will be an upgrade, theres no 4K video.
    This would not have been an issue a few months ago, but I know have a 4K TV and wow what a difference that makes.

So main questions are is the 90D worth getting?? is it overkill for what im going to use it for? would I be better investing in better lense, and wait for mirrorless to come down in price.?

Regards
    Wee Peem

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I think the 90d is a good contender given you want the 4k video which rules out a similarly priced 6d2 which would be full frame instead of crop sensor. Those are the big differences to me between those two. You could look at the older Canon RP at that price point and adapt your lenses you already have. I would not expect the R cameras to come down that significantly in price to be honest, they are spaced out and priced accordingly as they have rolled out and they are more likely to get a new version down the road a few years to replace the current ones. Similarly to how canon has handled DSLRs.. Your rebel series have always been in the 500 dollar range, the step up the 70/80/90d around 1000, and then so on up to the 1d series cameras.
    I think the jump to the next tier is a safe investment as your not a beginner anymore and the more rugged build, and advanced feature sets of the cameras mentioned make it worth jumping from you basic rebel line to the next tier, but yes I would rather see someone invest in good lenses than drop an extra few grand on a really high end body.

3. Wee Peem

Wee Peem New Member

Equipment:
    EOS 400D,
    100mm 2.8 Macro
    kit lens
    50mm 1.8
    Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.

I think the fact of the touch screen and live view with the ability to zoom in and focus is reason enough to upgrade.
    As we get older, ones eyesight is going to get worse (plus I wear glasses) so looking purely through the 400D viewfinder is hard going.

One other thing.
    From an amateur/ not too serious/ non pro photographer who wants to improve, and get the best from gear. What is the advangtage or disadvantage of APS-C over full frame. Is it such a big deal.

I realise that my current lenses wont be at the actual focal length due to crop sensor, although for a telephoto it might help with the increase of focal length.

once again thanks for your response

4. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I think the 90d is a good contender given you want the 4k video which rules out a similarly priced 6d2 which would be full frame instead of crop sensor. You could look at the older Canon RP at that price point and adapt your lenses you already have. I would not expect the R cameras to come down that significantly in price to be honest, they are spaced out and priced accordingly as they have rolled out and they are more likely to get a new version down the road a few years to replace the current ones. Similarly to how canon has handled DSLRs.. Your rebel series have always been in the 500 dollar range, the step up the 70/80/90d around 1000, and then so on up to the 1d series cameras.
    I think the jump to the next tier is a safe investment as your not a beginner anymore and the more rugged build, and advanced feature sets of the cameras mentioned make it worth jumping from you basic rebel line to the next tier, but yes I would rather see someone invest in good lenses than drop an extra few grand on a really high end body. O
    Honestly its not nearly that big of deal. The large sensors had more megapixels and better performance, but a lot has changed in 15-20 years and the gap between them has shrunk significantly. Sure the larger sensors are still put in the higher end cameras but the difference between performance is smaller. The introduction of prosumer camera the 7D and the enthusiast full frame the 6d were signs of that years ago when they came out.
    I would say the biggest difference for you jumping between apsc and full frame should be where you like to live in range of lenses, my first two lenses were a 17-40L and a 50mm, I like the wide end of the focal ranges and for me getting every bit of the field of view was important so jumping up to a 5d was not a matter of if back in the day it was a matter of when.
    I also would not look at apsc as not at the focal length, a 50mm lens is a 50 mm lens on either camera, it doesn't get you closer to the object. The sensor is 2/3 the size so it is just a crop not using the full field of view of the lens, so yes it will look similar to a 75mm shot but only because of the cropping that you get from a smaller sensor.

5. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    Hello Wee Peem, I regularly use the 60D and have used the 80D. If you are considering either of them I can say they will suit your stated needs, I would assume the 90D would also be in their category.
    I would also suggest you take your lenses with you to your local camera store and try them out on what ever camera they have there, this will give your a idea what the camera feels like to use and how it works with your lenses and if it suits you.
    Any good store will let you do this .

6. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    The question that I would like to ask is what are your current lenses?

If you aps-c lenses only, I would consider staying with that format. Let us know what you have and that will help us guide you in the right direction.

Gary