Upgrade from Canon 5D Mark II

Discussion in 'Canon EOS Digital SLRs' started by Natvert, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Natvert

Natvert New Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EF 24-105 IS
    Canon 17-40mm USM
    Tamron 90 mm f/2.8
    Samyang 14mm f2.8
    Hello,

I currently have a Canon 5D Mark II. This has been my primary camera for almost 9 yrs. I have enjoyed using it but since I am noticing some minor problems with it I would like to upgrade to another primary and used the 5D Mark II as a back up camera. My thought was a lighter weight full frame Canon DSLR. I would probably use it more for travel and hikes if it were a bit lighter.

Currently my research has led me to the Canon 6D Mark II. Is there another full frame Canon I should consider?

My lenses :
    Canon EF 24-105 mm IS USM
    Canon 17-40 USM
    Tamron 90 mm F/2.8
    Samyang 14mm F/2.8

Any help or suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks!

2. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    Well I think for the money the 6dII is a great camera. If size is a big selling factor, I would probably go to a store and see how it feels in the hands the 6d and 5d lines are very close in size and maybe a 1/4lb difference in weight. If I was going to go with compact full frame I would go with the EOS R its far more feature rich, and just a little lighter yet then the 6dii. With both cameras you will be moving to a single SD card slot. The 6dII from what I saw also has all the focus points clustered towards the center which is a big draw back in my opinion.
    I may be getting the 5dIV myself this month as I am not 100% sold on going mirror-less with the R, but like you the MarkII has been my main camera for almost a decade. All three have great instant rebates this month before the holidays so definitely worth doing some side by side comparisons the next week or so and making your decision.