Uploaded images appear flat and soft.

Discussion in 'Technical Troubleshooting' started by Tonytee, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Tonytee

Tonytee Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Shooting with a Canon EOS 7D MK II body and a Canon EF-S 18~135mm, IS, STM Lens. I like this gear combination a great deal due to the body's amazing build quality and the sharpness and brightness of the lens. The lens I believe has a better IS System than many of other lenses I have owned and borrowed.

The problem as stated above is that the images look great in my browser, however when uploaded here or on another site, they turn out flat and soft. I have checked my monitor settings, browser settings and even reset the body's settings to factory specs, but to no avail. This problem began approximately three years ago on another site and after all this time have not found a satisfactory solution. Nothing has changed on my end as I have had the same Dell computer and monitor since August 2015. Here is the only solution I could come up with on my own and that is to seriously adjust the resolution and then have to sharpen almost to excess in order to get a decent image to appear.

That presents another problem where I belong to another site that has many Challenges/Contests and the minimum resolution must be: 700 X 700 so anything less and their system rejects the entry, meaning I then have to adjust the resolution again and then again after the image is uploaded in order to get it back into the original browser. I upload an average of 20 to 30 images a day on that site, which creates an inordinate amount of extra work.

Thanks very much for viewing and any helpful hints and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Come to think of it, I wonder if in fact I may need to upgrade my computer system. I am using a Dell Computer with Intel CORE i3 Processor with a Dell Monitor and Windows 10. Thanks again.

Tony

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021

2. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    I am far from a expert but it may be your computer screen, I had a similar problem. My solution was I photographed a page out of a book with various basic colours and adjusted my screen to match the page I had taken a photo of, no guarantee it will work but it help me. Hopefully it will sink the camera and screen.

Tonytee likes this.
  3. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T5 with Canon EF-S 18~55mm kit lens and Canon EF-S 55-250 mm 1:4~5.6 IS II
    Telephoto Lens.
    Hi Craig and many thanks for taking the time to help out. I wonder if you had checked the resolution of your monitor? Thnx, Tony

4. Craig Sherriff

Craig Sherriff Well-Known Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    60D, 10D, 50D 1dmark3, T70, AV1, lenses ranging from 28mm to 600 mm, canonet Junior, Canonet QL 25, Mamiya C3 and 3 lens sets,Mamiya 645 pro TL and 3 lenses. Pentax MG and various lenses, Toyoview 4 * 5 inch large format camera,Calimat C1 8*10 inch ultra large format camera.
    that monitor has now gone to the big monitor tip in the sky, I have now hooked my computer up to my TV. it is far from perfect but it does the job.

5. johnsey

johnsey Site Moderator Staff Member Site Supporter

Equipment:
    5dMk4, 5dsR, 5dMk2, 20D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100mm 2.8 Macro USM, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 17-40mm 4.0L, TS-E 24mm 3.5L II, Rokinon 14mm 2.8; Pixma Pro-100
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with software rendering and process you are following.

When you say browser I am not sure if we are talking the same thing, when I say browser i am referring to firefox/chrome/internet explorer what ever internet browser you use. That browser may render slightly different than windows file explorer previews and different than Photoshop or Gimp. They use different profiling to render images.
    Also concerned that your talking about not hitting 700 pixel minimum, the original file you download from the camera would be many times larger something in the 3000-4000 range. So when you export from Photoshop for the web you create an additional sized down copy that is something like 800x1200, never edit the original, make a new copy for web. If you are up-sizing from something small to get a larger image it will have issues with softness because it is inventing information that it does not have.

In short maybe a slower walk through of your process from end to end with screen captures of what you are seeing would help to make sure the description of what your matches what we envision you are doing.

Your computer is new enough I cant see the monitor being an issue especially if it looks good in some instances. If you had a 20 year old CRT monitor i would have concerns.

Tonytee likes this.
  6. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.

Hello Johnsey and a million thanks for your response. My Internet Browser is Google Chrome and I believe I have the most recent version available. I'll do the best I can to retrace my steps and be as clear as I know how. Many years ago I upgraded to a Canon 80d body with one telephoto lens and one kit lens. Very capable gear by the way. I was advised that I needed to set the camera to the 24mp setting. That is what I did and of course the images turned out to be enormous requiring a lot of extra work in order to be able to enter into many different photography sites. In fact, in many of these sites the images were rejected because the files were just too big.
    I then stumbled upon an article posted by Ken Rockwell revealing that we really do not need all those Megapixels in order to achieve excellent results with our photography. In fact he stated that even as a professional, he is very happy using only 6.1mp. He also stated that the only need for so many Megapixels is if the shooter is planning to enlarge images to the size of wall mural prints. So I went back
    to days of old and looked at images taken with my Pentax K100d Super body with a Sony 6.1 CCD Sensor and the images I felt were much nicer than images taken with 24mp and only required a minimum of work in PPE. So using that logic I reset the Canon to 6mp and I could not believe the improvement in Image Quality and again with minimum effort in Editing. I have even gone down further in regards to MP and the images turn out much more improved. However, even with the smaller resolution, when uploaded on the web, the images are so awful that I have to delete the thread and then get back to working on it again and then again. The nagging question I have is why this happened when nothing on my end changed. Apologize for the confusion using the word Browser instead of Editing Software. Honestly, for the past 10 to 11 years it has been nothing but a lot of confusion, frustration and astronomical expense and all I have gotten for all of that amounts to nothing more with; "Wack a Mole Technology." Thanks again, Tony

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  7. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Tony,

I don't think that it is a PC problem either. I would guess that it is a workflow or how you are processing the images problem. Mind you, I could be wrong. Don't go out spending any of your hard earned money until we can get to the bottom of your problem.

When I get home and I have access to my laptop, would you be happy if I drop you a pm, and exchange email details. If you are happy to send me an image or two and I can have a look at them.

If not, no worries.

Gary

Tonytee likes this.
  8. Tonytee

Equipment:
    Telephoto Lens.
    Hello Gary and many thanks for your response. Of course, it would be terrific if I were able to work with someone directly to get this issue resolved. Please feel free to begin when you are ready. I believe you are nine hours ahead of me here on the West Coast of the USA.

Thanks again. Tony

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Tony,

You have a PM.

Gary

10. MikeM

MikeM Member

Equipment:
    Canon EOS Rebel T6
    EF-S 18-55mm
    EF 75-300mm
    EF 50mm
    EF 10-18mm
    One thing to also keep in mind is when you upload a photo to a website, it will often shrink and compress the image. This can cause detail to be lost as a result.

11. John L

John L Active Member

Tony, for the avoidance of any doubt, could you tell me the actual settings you are using in the camera for the recorded image quality?