Using an M50ii "without a lens"

Discussion in 'Canon EOS M Series' started by Stuart4444, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Stuart4444

Stuart4444 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50ii, Canon MP-E, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EFS 18-135, Nissin ringflash, macro converted Canon 35-80, Benro tripod and geared head, Adaptalux studio
    Hi,
    I've recently bought an M50ii, mainly for macrophotography. Yesterday I took delivery of a Chinese bellows unit for eventually mounting a microscope lens (still to arrive). However to try it I mounted my Canon 50mm f1.8 on the bellows, but found the shutter won't release.
    The camera is showing "MF" and "F00" .
    Can anyone tell me why the shutter is frozen in this situaiton? Is there a workaround?
    Thanks,
    Stuart

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021

2. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    Hi Stuart,

I don't own a M series camera, so I can't tell you where to look. But I would be looking for an option in the menu along the lines of "releasing the shutter without a lens attached".

Gary

3. Stuart4444

Stuart4444 New Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50ii, Canon MP-E, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EFS 18-135, Nissin ringflash, macro converted Canon 35-80, Benro tripod and geared head, Adaptalux studio
    Hi Gary,
    You've given me the kick needed. I'd perused what I thought was all the menu items and found nothing, but your phrase seemed very apt so I searched online using it and found a youtube pointing me to a submenu called "Custom Functions", ("wrench", "5" if anyone searches this site for the same information) and within that I found the item "release shutter w/o lens". Set to "Enable" now, the problem is solved!
    Many thanks, I've taken my first couple of photos using the bellows. Hopefully the microscope lens will arrive today.
    It's nine years since I visited your lovely country. I'd love to visit again, but due to global warming I've decided that holidays by air, especially distant ones, are off my travel menu. At least I got to see and take lots of photos on both islands. What a great place!
    Stuart

GDN likes this.
  4. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    A little Canon stuff
    I was not trying to kick you, but I was trying to help you out.

That is what we wanted to hear.

Good stuff. I am looking forward to seeing what you manage to produce.

It is good to see some people taking a stand with this.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your time while you were here.

Gary

5. Stuart4444

Stuart4444 New Member

Equipment:
    My vernacular! A good sort of kick, I meant, as it was good :)