Video shows on camera, but not when transfering?

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by Justin Bradbury, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Justin Bradbury

Justin Bradbury New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Eos Rebel T7i
    I just recorded a 30 minute video, then plugged the camera into the computer to transfer it. The file is 50mb, kind of looks like crap to be honest, and the video I get is only 7 seconds long. Yet when I unplug it from the comp and look on the camera again, the entire 30 minute video is still there.

Why do I only get the first 7 seconds when it's plugged into the computer? How do I transfer the entire 30 minute video?

2. Caladina

Caladina Well-Known Member

Equipment:
    Canon M50
    Canon 18-45mm m, Canon 18-150mm m, Canon 55-200mm m, Canon 22mm m, Canon 28mm m macro,
    Sigma 100-400c ef, Sigma 18-35mm art ef,
    7artisans 7.5mm m, Laowa 100mm macro ef, laowa 9mm zeroD m, Vintage M42 Lenses:
    Ashi Super - Takumar 1.8 / 55mm,
    what camera?
    my gf removes the sd card and puts it straight into the macbook pro then does drag and drop,
    camera is M50, i don't do vid on mine just stills

3. Justin Bradbury

Justin Bradbury New Member

Equipment:
    Canon Eos Rebel T7i
    Canon Eos Rebel T7i

4. Joey Williams

Joey Williams Member

Equipment:
    Sony Alpha 77
    It's possible that you're only seeing a preview or thumbnail of the video when you connect the camera to your computer. Some cameras will generate low-resolution preview files that can be quickly previewed on the camera's LCD screen, but these files may not contain the full video.

To transfer the entire 30-minute video to your computer, you may need to use specialized software or transfer methods that are specific to your camera model. Some cameras may require you to use proprietary software to transfer the files, while others may allow you to simply drag and drop the files from the camera's memory card to your computer.

Before transferring any files, make sure that you have enough free space on your computer's hard drive to accommodate the size of the video file. It's also a good idea to create a backup copy of the original video file in case anything goes wrong during the transfer process.

If you're still having trouble transferring the entire video, you may want to consult the user manual for your camera or reach out to the manufacturer's customer support for assistance.

Alfred Pennyworth likes this.